Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question about spooling braid on a spinning reel. I've looked on line but i'm getting different answers. Okay my question, When spooling braid on a spinning reel, do you have to spool backing first? do you always use a leader? How long?

May sound like a stupid question but I don't fish much.

·
Registered
855 Posts
You need something to prevent your braid from slipping on the spinning reel spool. Most use a cheap backing of mono or fluoro for that. Some will just put down some electrical tape on the spool and then add the braid.

However, braid is pretty expensive. You can spool an entire reel with it, but depending on the size of reel and what you're fishing for, you may never get to the last 1/2 to 1/4 of line. So why have the "good stuff" back there if you're never going to use it.

I only fish for LMB. On my 1000 size spool, I have about 1/4 of it spooled with a cheap copolymer I had lying around. On top of that I spooled on my PowerPro Super 8 Slick braid. The important thing to keep in mine is to have on several yards more braid than the farthest you expect to cast. On my 2500 size spool, about half of it is backing.

As for using fluoro leaders with braid, you will get different opinions. I've tried with and without and caught fish both ways. But given that I fish from the banks mostly, I will snag lures and have to break off. Breaking off a leader is significantly easier than 10-60# braid. And you won't lose as much or any (expensive) braid when you do break off. This fact alone prompted me to switch back to using leaders.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
I have braid on my gar spinning set up and never used a backing. 20lb powerpro i think. Havent change the line out in over a year and caught tons of fish on it

·
Registered
331 Posts
I go straight braid on spinning setups in anything less than very clear water. For finnicky smallmouth and walleye up in Michigan and Wisconsin I'll use a 12-18" fluoro leader and have no problems getting bit. I like a short leader because I can tie a tiny barrel swivel to join the lines which I trust more than a line to line knot on a longer leader that's going to be passing through guides on a cast which compromise the knot and can screw with distance and accuracy.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've had the same braid on my spinning rods for the last 6 months at least. I use a 18in flouro leader but that's just me. I know guys that fish it straight with just as much success. I probably lost a little in casting distance but I don't typically need my spinning rods for distance anyway so it's a moot point. Until they invent a better line, I'll be using raid on my spinning rods forever...hell...maybe the same braid that is on there now! LOL

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I think the Alberto Is simpler to tie, and I've yet to have a failure. This includes numerous bass, a 41" bull red, and a 38" jack at POC.
I used 15 InvisX on 50 Power Pro, and 12lb. InvisX on 20lb. PP Slick.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I never have problems with slippage and I only re-spool the outer 2/3 of the spool of braid every year, that inside third is two years old and counting. You should always use a leader unless you are in some massive cover and looking for a reaction bite to a fast moving/falling bait. I use 8-10lb flouro for a leader. If I need heavier line then I switch to my baitcaster w 15 lb flouro all the way.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Not much else to say here. Guys have already hit the nail on the head: cheap mono or copolymer as backing, I always use a fluorocarbon leader, and I always tie the lines together with an Alberto knot. The only other thing there is to mention, which you have not specifically asked for, but I'm going to give you my opinion anyways... :cool:... is using P-Line Spectrex braid. I've tried various braids over the last few years on my spinning reels trying to find one that I feel handles the best on a spinning set-up. Most have been good, but have just had a few properties about them that I didn't like. A while back I had read in Bassmaster about Berkley creating their Nanofil braid which was supposed to be the smoothest handling braid for a spinning reel yet. That got me a little excited, so I bought some to try, but again, I ended up no more impressed than anything else I'd tried. Just good. Shortly after that I became sponsored by P-Line. I've used P-Line's fluoros and copolymers through the years, but never their braid. I gotta tell ya, I'm in LOVE with that braid on a spinning reel. It meets all of the demands that I was wanting out of a braid for a spinning combo. There's lots of good lines comparable to P-Line out there in other categories, but I am convinced on this one, P-Line Spectrex braid on a spinning reel can't be beat.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know everyone has their favorite knots... here's mine. Uni to uni- very strong, secure and easy to tie. The tip is this.... the thinner the line, the more twists you use. as a rule of thumb, for heavier line (say 20lb+ braid) you can get away with 5 loops on the flouro side (or backing) and 7 loops on the braid. For thinner line (I personally use power pro slick 15lb/4lb equivalent and 8 lb flouro) I prefer using at LEAST 9 loops on the braid and 6 on the flouro. I have never had a break and this knot goes through the guides and on the spool well. I use a longer 6-10' flouro leader for two reasons. One, visibility and a slight bit of stretch with minimal loss of sensitivity. Second, it gives you line to work with when re-tying. Make sense?

One rule of thumb is that you should try and match the diameter of the braid and leader when possible. You'll note my setup above doesn't fit that rule, but that's because Lake Austin fish tend to be a bit larger and feistier than most. But in the winter, I will downsize to a 4 to 6lb leader. It's a good idea to mentally refer to braid like the pros do so you can remember the equivalent line size. For example, the power pro mentioned above is "four-fifteen" size. This way you don't have to try and memorize diameters and you know the optimal leader size to use.

If you insist on oversizing the leader size (which is OK), then use another knot like a double albright which is designed for mismatched line sizes.

As for backing material... anything will do, but make sure you have enough braid on the spool to handle long casts. The electrical tape concept works, but I don't like that the tape exudes sticky, tacky glue over time. Also, add line conditioner to soften line, and when spooling new line run it through a damp cloth to remove powder residue from manufacturing (a Mike Iaconelli tip).

If you ever tie directly to braid, make sure you use a knot that doesn't slip or weaken line. The palomar is one choice. A superior knot is the Homer Circle Knot with almost 100% knot strength for all lines (mono, flouro, copolymer, fused, and braids).

I hope this helps as you enter the world of braided lines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts