Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 97 Nitro Savage 896, when I go to put the boat on the trailer the nose of the boat won't get up over the roller on the the trailer.

Has anyone had this problem and if so how do you fix it?

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Lance,

I'm going assume that when you bought the package that the boat and trailer were already properly matched and bow rested on the roller as normally expected.  If that is the case then it sounds like you are backing the trailer too far in the water for landing operations.  Since the trailer is buried too deep in the water the boat may be "floating" in just above the bunks and not making solid contact with the bunks.  This causes the angle of attack to be parallel and level with the surface of the lake causing the boat to nose in just below the roller.  Try pulling your trailer out of the water a little more.  This will allow the hull will make solid contact and come to rest completely on the bunks which in turn causes the angle of attack of the boat to be parallel with the trailer (angled upward) instead of the lake surface (angled straight) allowing the bow of the boat clear the roller.  

Once you find the sweet spot of how deep to back in your trailer make a mental note of the water level on a tire or on the wheel well.  Using the refence point of the water level on your tralier will help you drop it to the right depth everytime.

Also try it out on ramps with different gradiants.  For example, the moderate grade at 360 versus the steep grade at Quinlan.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Rude's advice is right on.  Another, less likely possibility, is that the front roller support has slid forward on the trailerover time.  Check the trailer to see if you can see any scraping or rust where it looks like the support has moved.  If so, with the boat off the trailer, simply loosen the bolts and align properly and tighten.

Scott

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I have put it on the trailer at Gtown and decker. Not sure I'll be fishing decker with this boat anytime soon again. I hate that ramp. When I go back out sunday I'll play with it some to find that sweet spot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a new Nitro 898 and have the same problem. This is the hardest boat to load Ive ever had. Yungs advice is right on, dont back trlr in to far.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You may already be doing this but you may trim your motor up a little right before you drive it on the trailer. This wil cause the nose to lift as you drive it on.

·
Registered
822 Posts
NitroLance, Rude is right on. When I first got my boat I would fight it every time I loaded it, one day while loading it there was a couple loading there Nitro at the same time. They said the trailer has to be in the water just right or it will go under the roller or to high and not load.
If you have a single axel trailer like mine, put about 3/4 of the bunks in the water (first go back far enough to wet all the bunks and it will help it slide on), that should be when the water is just covering the front crome part of the fender that stick out. When you get it, It loads really easy.
If I can help further let me know,
Emmett

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put the boat in this morning, and fished with the_bass_man. Went to put the boat on the trailer, sunk the trailer to get the skids wet, pulled back up, found my sweet spot on the trailer and went right on.

You guys are great.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nose not going over the front roller can mean the trailer is too deep.
You may not have to go quite as deep to load a boat as you do to lauch it.

I back down until the the top of the trailer tire is about 3" above the water surface.   I have found this to be a good starting point if loading an unfamiliar boat or at an unfamiliar ramp.    

When loading at Decker, stay to the left, that is, the side closer to the power plant, the west side, when looking at it from the parking lot.   It seems to me that right side is steeper and I have watched folks smoke their tires trying to pull a big boat in on the right side of that ramp.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
6F4C5E5E795F4C4E46485F2D0 said:
Put the boat in this morning, and fished with the_bass_man. Went to put the boat on the trailer, sunk the trailer to get the skids wet, pulled back up, found my sweet spot on the trailer and went right on.

You guys are great.
Thanks again.

Hey now I helped Lance ;D

Just kidding, I am glad we were able to find the right way to get it on there.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts