Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection."? I found a boat I am interested in buying but got a strange (to me) response from the seller that makes me leery of the deal. Need your advice. I emailed the seller asking to see the boat, did they have clear titles in hand, and wanted to try it out. Here is the sellers response:

"The boat has a clear title, is in an excellent condition, no dents or scratches, it was always garaged and regular maintenance and is been used only in fresh water. Hasn’t been involved in an accident or flood damage. The motor runs very well. I don’t want to offend you but the boat is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply.

The transaction will be made through eBay company for the safety of both. I’ve already included the boat into eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection, so I will sell only through this.

If you want to buy the boat, and you agree with my terms please reply so I can give you a detailed description of the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection."

Does this seem ligitimate? I responded I had cash in hand but had to see the boat and titles. Awaiting their response.

Thanks,

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why would he need protection if you are paying cash? Who cares if you have to get a loan? Unless you dont want the legal docs that go with the bank paperwork. Sounds like its not on the up and up to me.

-d

·
Registered
120 Posts
Go to this link for more information:

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection/index.html

Here is some more information:

The eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) program provides protection of up to $50,000 against certain losses associated with some types of fraud. You are automatically enrolled in the program at no charge when you complete the purchase of an eligible vehicle on the eBay Motors site (motors.ebay.com).

Please understand that the VPP program is not an insurance policy, a solution for buyer's remorse, or a substitute for buyer diligence (i.e. pre-purchase research and inspection). Therefore, we encourage you to perform appropriate research and exercise proper care and judgment in the purchase of any vehicle.

VPP is administered and managed by an independent service provider (the "VPP Administrator") that is not affiliated with eBay Inc ("eBay"). All VPP requests will be administered and processed by eBay and the VPP Administrator. The maximum reimbursement amount per vehicle is $50,000.

These terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") shall govern your participation in the VPP program.

By the way I bought my boat from ebay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It sounds a little shady to me. If it was me I would want to see the origanal titles before I handed over any money.

Even with Ebay's VPP it will be a pain in the arse recovering your money. I would not be surprized if it took upwards of 6 months.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Anybody will tell you anything to get you to buy their boat..... You need to buy something you can testdrive and get hands on before you buy. I wouldn't get that boat from Ebay. There are a ton of boats for sale in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin, on Craigslist.

·
Banned
5,461 Posts
Think I would walk away from that...just doesn't sound right. Is it a deal that is too good to be true?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. It is one of those "too good to be true" things. No response from seller since I told them I had cash in hand and needed to see the titles.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Good on ya man, as Moonraker noted, there are allot of boats on Cragislist that you could have checked out by the mechanic after test driving it yourself :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts