Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my boys were growing up that had a friend that basically lived with us and I treated him like another son. He now has kids of his own and he often joins us on family outings like our camp out earlier this summer. We were invited to his sons birthday party on Saturday. The "gift wish list" did not make me very happy - a $300 bicycle, at $120 video game or money. Really. My wife and I decided to do something different. We gave him a rod/reel, lures and a tackle box. And I invited he and his dad to go fishing whenever they wanted to break in the new gear. Much to my surprise they asked if we could go out the next morning. Dad and son were at my house right on time (sort of) and we were down at the ramp on the Pedernales arm of Lake Travis at 6:45. I showed Dad how to throw the cast net and we soon had a bucket of bait. We walked over to the bridge, set up chairs and got ready to fish. I had them cut up some of the bait and we filled a chum tube which I tossed out into the water. I showed them how to rig up his new rod, hook a shad and cast it out. We made ourselves comfortable while I talked to him about what we were fishing for and why we rigged the bait the way we did. It took about 20 minutes before we got our first strike. I tried to tell him how to wait until he felt the fish on the end of the line before he set the hook but he was more interested in making sure he crossed their eyes when he set the hook. Amazing how hard a 8 year old can yank a line when he sets his mind to it but with nothing on the other end he found himself sitting on his back side on the bank. We got him reset and waited. In fairly short order both he and dad were bringing in two nice channel cat. The pace wasn't fast and furious but by the time the weather began rolling in we had 9 channel and blue cat, a gar and had released two small LMB. Back at the house I showed them how to clean their catch and put it in bags to take home. Last night they called to tell me about the fish fry they had Sunday night. I asked him if he was happy that he got fishing gear instead of some computer game. "No Chief, I really would rather have gotten something from my list but at least fishing is fun". Oh well you cant win them all. I was happy to finally be able to fish over a weekend and had fun doing it. Keep your line tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Self head-slap, then reach back and self head-slap again. Points for honesty, maybe?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts