Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little warmer this morning. Not as many boats turned out as I had expected. I was able to pull up to ramp and launch with only one other person in front of me. Caught 5 today, only one keeper that weighed 2.75 and out of the money. Fished in Country Club, Bull Creek, the grass and shoreline on either side of entrance to Bull Creek, and lastly just up past City Park. Noticed most everyone was sitting in the middle of the river fishing, although my keeper came from 4-5' on a Berkley Power worm in plum with blue flake. Water temps in low 60's, clarity much better above bridge.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Sorry to hear you missed the money Fishless. Airfob and I hit it really hard but only caught 5 - 13''. We just could not find the big bite in our spots.

Some big ones were brought in though.

Air and I bailed about 2:00p, so we do not know what happened. I would bet that Terry Oldham won with a 8.66lbs. He was fishing his own jigs in deep grass.

Alan and Mike Hastings had a 6.5 for about third, but I heard some idiot clamied a protest against them for moving to close to him. I am sure that it was BS.

I hope that they took third place money. I am sure we will find out soon.

Swimabit also hit a nice one, about 5.62 and won a hourly check.

Tracker Deep V was with us and found it tough for the big bite.
I would guess about 50 - 60 boats fished the Big Bass.

EA

·
Administrator
1,527 Posts
Mike Hastings and I fished together today, We had five keepers, we caught fish on five different baits. I had one fish on a senko that went 6.85lbs. It won one of the hourly bass pots, and was the 4th fish overall. Most of the cash fish today were caught flipping the grass.

Jimmy Houston was great as the master of ceremonies. When i got my picture for the hourly bass, Jimmy was standing next to me and telling be to push the fish away from by chest.....I told him that we do not need to make the fish look bigger in Texas, this wasn't Oklahome.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
Alan and Mike did well.  Good Job.

Our whole family was out there.

Dad and I did ok with 1 "stupid" fish that yielded an hourly win and 7th overall.

Mom and Bro covered alot of water and only managed a few smaller keepers.

We targeted deep grass all day using 10" power worms, C-Rogged flukes to 1oz Jigs/Creatures.

Most of the big fish were caught from the grass and up by fat farm, as I heard.

Getting closer to that 332C  8).

It was good to see alot of the ABF site members out there.  I hinted to Fob and EA about a get together fish fry.  Somehting simple where we can kick back, eat some frsh fish, drink some beer and maybe tell fish stories around a campfire (in a totally heterosexual way of course  ;D).

kp

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I wasn't able to fish the BBR today but showed up about 2p to watch the final hour weigh in and see final payouts. It took at least a 5 -6 lb to win big bass each hour. However, a 2.x placed 3rd in one of the hourly weigh-ins. I talked with the officials at the tent, they said 144 entered the tourney. Jimmy H was great. I would consider the overall event a big success. Most indicated they caught their big fish on jigs; a few stated 10" powerworm, Terminator spinnerbait, and buzz bait (early).

I donated $10 to the food pavilion and $10 to the raffle. Ended up winning two prizes! A nice ball point pen (?? random) and a 12V marine battery.

It was good seeing everyone from the ABF forums out there.

-Rich

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Congrats Alan and Swimbait!! Sounds like the fishing was fairly tough out there.

I think Swimbait has a good idea with the fish fry Sounds like it would be fun. Do we have a bunch of N. Austin guys or S. Austin guys on this site??

Take Care
H.H.J.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
Yeah, as EA mentioned earlier I had a tough go at it yesterday. My favorite shallow pattern (chrome cranks / docks and retaining walls) that got me in the money the a couple of past HHJ's only got me 1 short fish.

I then changed over to TX-rigged plastics (4 & 7 inch power worms & Brushhogs & baby Brushhogs) fished on the outside edge of the weedline north of the fat farm. That produced a couple of more short fish but nothing that would measure.

Met up with EA & Fob a few times on the water to get some reports and joked that I should just dead stick a senko and take a nap (wish I would have now). Despite the tough fishing it was still fun to be on the lake. Fished for a good cause, got to a picture with Jimmy H., and met up with some cool ABF guys on the water. Still better than work......

Kudos to Alan and Swimbait for getting in the money.

Fish Fry sounds like a great idea. I'm a N.Austin guy but I don't mind traveling.

-TDV-

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
>what won the tournament?

8lb 10oz won big bass of the day.

I don't recall the final stringer weights. Most of the #1 big bass of the hour winners also placed in the total stringer Top 8.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My son Kyle and I fished. I managed to catch a 3.21 early on a crank and it was enough to get 2nd place in the second hour. Also caught a 2.7 early on a brush hog but it did not make the money. Fishing got tough and we only caught short ones the rest of the day. Over all it was a good time.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Congrats Alan, Kevin and fishndude for placing...good to see some ABF guys taking home some of that money.

Jeremy, sucks that you did not place but at least you got to weigh in.

EA, Grnhead and myself had been talking about having a get together after the last HHJ before the drawdown. Bbq and or fish fry at City Park would fit the bill nicely. Let's start throwing dates out so we can plan accordingly. I am single so no wifey to check with...any date is good for me.

I heard Alan and Swimmy are taking care of the beer since they won all that money on Sunday ;D

·
Registered
258 Posts
These are unofficial results for the overall 10 places. Once I receive the official results, I'll post them on our website.

Terry Oldham - 8.63
Eddy Maynard - 8.3
Garry Wafford - 7.52
Alan Bell - 6.85
Gerald Goff - 5.8
Rob Glidewell - 5.75
Kevin Pederzani - 5.62
Steve Thiel - 5.46
Marshall McDonnel - 5.32
Ronny Maynard - 5.25

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
I snapped a few pics during the final hour weigh-in and drawings. How do I post them?

I noticed the BSCBC was taking pics of the top 3 hourly winners & their fish during the weigh-ins. They should be posted to their website soon.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Hey Rich,

Got to photobucket.com and register ( it is free ) then upload the pics. Copy and paste the IMG into your post. That will do it.

EA

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was great to see you guys out there. I dont think there were 144 boats out there, but there were enough.
I am up for most any date at this time, if given enough notice. I am a N. Austin person, but can travel anywhere.
I heard Andy was bringing the 'entertainment.' :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
258 Posts
No, there were not 144 boats, there were 145 entries. So, if you saw a boat with 2 anglers, that was 2 different entries. You could look at it as an average of 72 boats. We'll have pics and results up by the end of tomorrow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey guys,

It was good to see everybody out there. Alan, good fish with the 6.85. Kevin, you should have gotten an extra buck or two just because your last name got butchered so badly during the prize announcements. I didn't get to officially meet y'all, but I was the guy checking in most of you with the weigh-in slips. I was just amazed how many guys said they caught their big bass on one of those 24" pink senkos. I've never met a more honest bunch in my life. ::)

Let me know when the bbq is set, I'll be there!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts