Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm not from the Austin area but I am flying down in March to visit a friend. Last time I was there I took a guide on Lady Bird and did well but struck out when it came to bank fishing. We tried Guadalupe State Park, Canyon Lake by the dam, and an area on the Colorado River (can't remember where at but it was above the Bird). I don't want to steal any secret spots and I'm C&R only. I just want to know of a place that I would have a good chance at catching a few Largies or White bass. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should also ask what stage the fish are in at that point. I'm from PA so ours will just be starting pre-spawn after ice out but I'm guessing middle of march you will have some early spawners and pre-spawn fish. The full moon is at the end of the month so I figured that would be the official start of the spawn there but I honestly have no clue.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It depends on the lake but by March the spawn is beginning on most with the full moon you mention.

How far are you willing to travel? Pace Bend Park on Lake Travis has tons of bank access, along with shallow and deep water VERY accessible from the shore. If you get the Navionics app for your phone or some other kind of map of the lake bottom, it would be extremely helpful. Fish thebluff walls, and ~10-30' deep flats or bottom in the dozens of coves in that park, and you will have very good chances at catching bass. I live across the lake from that park and I fish those coves with my boat all the time and usually do very well in there. Watermelon colors match the local craw. You should be able to TX rig a watermelon senko or craw and catch a ton of fish in those coves in March on any given day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding. We drove over an hour to get to Guadalupe State park so distance isn't really an issue. I will definitely check out that area. I really appreciate the response, hope it helps me to hook one or two.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anywhere on Town Lake aka Lady Bird Lake . But mainly near Austin High School around the rowing dock area on the trails. Texas rig watermelon senko or brush hog

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will-Fish, Thanks so much for the input. After i looked that spot up on google maps I realize that is where we tried the one day last year. We rented kayaks at the rental. I was using a Green Pumpkin Senko and had one break me off (i was still using 6lb test which is no match for Texas brush) but didn't have another bite after that. We rented kayaks and fished upstream from the high school a bit. I suppose its worth a second shot, at least I have confidence that others have caught fish there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts