Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
200 Merc EFI sometimes gives me idling issues and I think a dirty injector is to blame.
I already use marine sta-bil in every tank but looking for something to clean those things out.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Mercury/Quicksilver Quick Clean. You might also consider removing them and send the out to be flowed,calibrated and cleaned. We do this to a lot of Mercs. and you always can tell the differance. Injectors typicly start flooding which cause poor fuel economy and perf.

·
Banned
5,461 Posts
That is nail on the head advice right there Dustin. That motor is bullet proof but those kind of parts do wear out. I wouldn't gamble a 5 dollar bottle of fuel treatment over a motor. I sent my injectors off to Mercado (I think that is the name) and it was a couple of hundred bucks to make sure everything was flowing properly, with as much age as that motor has it might be a good idea to do the same.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim,

At WOT I would lose a couple hundred RPM's but it would be real inconsistant. After some of my own detective work I found a faulty primer bulb which I believe has remedied the surging. I have ran the boat since replacement and the motor is much smoother at WOT.

However the idling problem is a two part deal. Sometimes as soon as you start the engine it dies or idles rough. When coming off plane it will idle smoothly and all is good.

Second part, if idling for an extended period of time (ie. trolling) the engine wants to load up on take-off. This also is inconsistant but has improved with the new primer bulb.

I think the new bulb remedied several problems but during the last tourney I ran my tanks dry. I think some junk may have been picked up off the bottom of the tank and ended up in an injector.

But who knows, I'm no mechanic.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Compression test complete.
Not sure how the cylinders are numbered but I took the readings left side-top to bottom and right side-top to bottom

1. 121lbs 4. 119lbs
2. 121lbs 5. 120lbs
3. 123lbs 6. 121lbs

Granted this is a 20yo motor, so I am pretty happy with the numbers. All the plugs looked good but some where a little wet with oil.
Still have to stop by and pick up some Quick Clean.

Jim, I may have you come out and take a peek at the boat sometime next week if my schedule permits. You guys got me relly thinking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts