Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been catching enough white bass, now wanting to fish for a freight train..Hoping to get onto Belton Lake next weekend, that is if the air temp is at least 50 degrees..lol. Hope to locate some steam rolling hybrids....

Anyone fish Belton lately?

Regarding Lake Buchanan:

Per the latest TPWD Lake Buchanan Fishing report, they claim stripers are good on Pirk Minnows in 20-28 FOW.... I do not know where they get that report. I do not know of a guide using PIRK minnows..
I know I use to catch stripers and whites in Beaver Creek....in 25 FOW.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Haven't heard of any reports or fished in awhile.. but if I were to fish it today I would start by hitting every main lake/river point

·
Registered
849 Posts
Haven't heard of any reports or fished in awhile.. but if I were to fish it today I would start by hitting every main lake/river point
Thanks Brandon, I've never fished Belton but I sure love catching those hybrids, I still plan on trying some striper fishing on
Travis real soon.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I will be on Travis till we stop catching...then experiment with Belton in April. I know the TSA tournament stop in on Lake Buchanan in late March, so I will be back on Buchanan possibly before Belton. I guess I was thinking too much about a big hybrid on my jigging spoon vs a little white bass.lol

Just FYI, for those wanting to fish TSA Buchanan, this year you can weigh in 5 striper/hybrids, not like the previous year of only 3.... But in my case, I have to catch 5, before bragging..lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Been waiting for rain that doesn't look like it's coming...being bound to the kayak, it's frustrating to not have any creeks w water AGAIN w/out driving to Yegua. Rebecca even sounds iffy at best right now report-wise. Sure would appreciate any tips on where to get into some whites on Travis LBJ or Buch. Haven't been out to Buchanan in a while, but I live in Briarcliff now and wanna get to know her! Can always find at least some good whites in Sunrise Beach at night hitting lights, and have found scattered whites around Turn back canyon on Travis, but not all the spawning schools some of ya'll have been reporting. Any helpful tips appreciated!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Naggler

Check out the Travis reports on the striper white bass forum, lots of good info from knowledgeable fishermen. The confluence of the pedernales and colorado would be a good place, not sure how the access is from briarcliff.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Naggler

Check out the Travis reports on the striper white bass forum, lots of good info from knowledgeable fishermen. The confluence of the pedernales and colorado would be a good place, not sure how the access is from briarcliff.
That's where I was going to go today. Somehow I didn't quite get there!

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Decisions, decisions..for this weekend..

From my NW Austin home, 55.6 miles to Buchanan shoreline ramp or 59.2 miles to Belton concrete ramp. Need to test some new water. I have fished both, but Belton hybrid is nearly double the size of Buchanan for lake record. 13.56lb-Belton vs 7.70lb Buchanan.

I will be investigating...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Naggler you're going to have to launch in the main lake on Buch. Any Midlake to Shaw island shoreline will work. I would choose Black Rock or any sandy shoreline, on a calm day for kayak. Paddle out to deeper water. If you have a depth finder active whites are anywhere in 36-46 foot right now on slabs. If you don't have a depth finder use a sharpee and mark 35 feet and then every 5 feet on your line. Depth is key. Slabs have out produced live bait for us last few weeks. We couldn't catch a fish shallower than 35 foot last two weeks. Fishing is good but they seem slightly scattered. The whites should get more concentrated as water gets warmer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It was expected to go. However, a lot of things happened in the middle of the journey, which spoiled the mood. Leading to the final failure. Do you have photos of Naggler or other alternatives?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts