Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to Belton today with Flatirons. On the water before sun-up stayed until about 1. Caught 14 or 15 fish and missed a few. Flat had a heavy 3lb LMB and I had a light 3lb Smallie as our only keepers. Was great to finally be back out on the water!
Thanks for tagging along Jeff.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It's always fun to go to a lake for the first time, it's a test to see if you can figure out a lake in a short period of time. Sure felt hotter than it was, I must be getting old, got home and took a nap and missed the entire UT game, didn't miss much. I also got out of mowing the lawn. Still can't believe that smallie coughed up a little black bass that was as big as it was and still took your bait. Thanks for the day I enjoyed it.
J

·
Registered
537 Posts
WTG :) Chandar and I were out there yesterday also from 8am till about 7pm. We had about 25 fish with about 8 keepers.biggest about 2.5 lb LM.and 2 short smallies. Did you fish the stained water up in cow creek or stay on the main lake in clear water?We fish both and better in the clearer water.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I thought we did better in the clear water IMO, I prefer clear water so it's psychological with me. It was my first time on Belton so I was there just to get a look at it and get familiar. You wouldn't have believed the size of the LGM that his smallie coughed up, thing was 6 inches.

·
Registered
537 Posts
No kidding got a close up look at it, it wasn't a shad or bluegill. Straight up LG for sure, I've never seen that before either and was really surprised by it. Now that I think about it I should've brought a swimbait with.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
525143431D5E1D4448300 said:
A lot of our fish spit out shad. spitting a LM out of a SM is a first. :D
Anybody ever heard of swimbaits?

·
Registered
537 Posts
It was my first time on Belton so I only packed some standard smallie baits I've used in the past. I've used a swimbait before where there were smallies but more as a search bait, you could see them following it to the boat but they wouldn't take it. Then throw back with something else.

·
Registered
537 Posts
1C3F2D2D2A2C3F3D355E0 said:
[quote author=525143431D5E1D4448300 link=1254020879/0#6 date=1254092453]A lot of our fish spit out shad. spitting a LM out of a SM is a first. :D
Anybody ever heard of swimbaits? [/quote]
caught my share of smallies and had them spit shad,crawfish,and plastics. never seen a small mouth spit a 6 inch large mouth.preety cool ;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Now that I think about it, it was the lgm that spit out the 3lb smallie, doh. Maybe we should've embelished it a little, like this: This 8 lb smallie bit and busted the water and this 13 inch shad came flying out of it's mouth and hit me giving me a black eye.
I think after 40 years I can differentiate between a shad, a craw, a bluegill and a largemouth. I think I'm done here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.