Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run two minnkota deep cycle batteries on my trolling motor and notice my trolling motor getting weak quick. So I checked my water level in my batteries and found 1 to be half empty. I filled it back up with distilled water when it was at full charge, but still do not have power I had before and tm goes dead by noon. Did I burn up my battery? Is there anywhere that can check it because I don't have a multi meter. what kind of batteries do you guys use and what kind of run time do you get out of them?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Auto zone can check it for you. I run orbital gel cell marine batterys and can go two full days without recharge,but i still charge them before every trip just in case.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey basscat where do you get those and how much they cost? Can a regular on board charger charge them?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Chris it sounds like you have a dead cell. Like they said, take it to a auto parts store and they can check it out for ya.

You opened up a can of worms when asked what kind of batteries everyone uses.
I use the AC Delco Voyagers, RV and Marine. They last about three years, and they keep a good charge all through out the day. I think they run about $120.00, maybe less, I really can’t remember. Heck I tell them I want two and then I hand over my plastic. I know it’s between $80.00 to $120.00.
Here is a store that is the closest to you that carries this brand if you’re interested.

1. A-LINE AUTO PARTS
2501 E 7TH ST
AUSTIN, TX 78702
Phone: (512) 476-2396
Hours:
08:00AM-07:00PM
(Monday-Friday)
08:00AM-04:00PM
(Saturday)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks doug. I can't belive I already burnt that battery its only3-4 months old. I must have been low on water when I bought it at academy I wonder if they will tak it back.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, if it's only a couple of months old I would take it back and they should give you a free replacement.

I purchased one of those $14 minn kota digital battery gauges...I think it's pretty handy. One day I noticed I lost trolling motor power a little earlier than I should have. Took the boat home and charged it up overnight, then checked each battery with the minn kota. Very easily identified which battery had apparently lost a cell. Took it back to Wal-Mart (month 10 of warranty) and got a free replacement.

I would love to get some of the more expensive batteries but as long as these others keep dying right at the end of the warranty it's going to be hard to justify.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well ruled out the batteries took them to autozone to be checked, both checked out perfect. What else could it be? Could the trolling motor be messed up and drawing to much and draining them? Its a 5/2 speed control but since I've had it only two forward speeds high and low and one reverse speed works. Man I don't want to spend 600+ right now. I was about to get a new trailer built for it but if I have to buy a new trolling motor the trailer will have to wait. Is there anybody that can check trolling motors for something like this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a similiar problem. Battery would take a charge but I kept losing power to the troll motor. It would run strong and then die a slow death. I checked everything several times finally got fed up with the battery and replaced it, it was almost 3 years old. As I was installing the new battery, I noticed the hot wire to the troll motor was broken where it connected to the battery post. I have no idea as to how or why it broke, I would not have ever seen the break had I not removed the battery. That was 4 years ago and it still works fine.
Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts