Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basshunter and I fished Bastrop yesterday from about 8 to 3. Just as in HHJ's post on Saturday, the fog was very thick until the middle of the morning. We caught a couple early on a rattletrap and then went to plastics. We picked up 6 or 7 more, including a nice 5 pounder by Basshunter. We finally made it to the discharge and picked up 3 or 4 decent fish there. Moved to a small creek and got 4 or 5 more, all little ones. Fished over by the dam for a while and got nothing. Moved out to a couple of main lake humps and started killing them. We fished one spot for about 2 hours and caught close to 30. We ended up with over 50 for the day. All in all, we caught 7 or 8 decent fish with the rest being around 12-14". 95% of our fish were caught on plastics. One of our best days as far as numbers of fish go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah that was fun and one of the nicest January days I have seen. I guess I should stop watching the Cowboys because all they do is disappoint me and go fishing on Sundays. I have a huge hook-setting bruise on my chest, but it was worth it ;D The fog was real thick. It took us an extra 30 minutes to drive there and I got nervous when boats would come by only 100 feet away at 30 mph. When you can't tell the type of boat at 100 feet the fog is too thick!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey basshunter i hear you about them cowboys but unfortunately we dont have worry about sundays until next season. Sounds like yall had a good day. Ive been to bastrop a few times and didnt do near as good as yall did. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Or just let me tie up to your boat and take me where they are. Just kidding but some advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FishHunter,

We were lucky - it was just our day. I don't know Bastrop real well, so we just hit as many spots as we could. I just fished areas where other boats were not at because I hate crowds. Most were caught on plastics -- flukes and senko's TX-Rigged and color didn't seem to matter. I threw several dark colors and Milorider threw watermelon. I fished real slow. The 5 lb bass came when I was drinking coffee and noticed my line swimming toward me. Like I said better lucky than good any day. ;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Those main lake humps a couple weeks ago were loaded with females. I did cath a couple females out there on sunday and they were darn near dropping eggs. The main lake stuff isn't going to carry the big numbers of big fish for probably another 3-5 weeks. The 4 lber i caught out there was dripping eggs, and ready to pop. The other thing that may be keeping them from spawning is they did suck out about a foot of water over the past week, and that will freak out fish that rarely see more than a few inch fluctuation (I did see quite a few vacant beds but only one male guarding). The shallow slow stuff and eel grass edges will become real hot if it isn't already. I wouldn't know though I get lost when I'm in water shallower than 10 ft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.