Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who fished this weekend? I know several of you did.....

I did not fish, but received calls from several fisherman tell me, that the bass are schooling in front of the dam today (Sunday)...This pattern should continue...Hotter the conditions, seem to make these fish school all over the lake. Fun seeing them blow up right in front of you.

Prepare yourself with Launchers with small pet-spoons, fluke jrs, and small baits. Since the shad that are being chased are 1.5" to 2" long.

Smaller schoolies are usually foraging on smaller shad, so you must match the lure to the size of the food. If the fish won't hit a larger bait, downsize. A Zara Spook may be your choice for a three-pound or larger fish, but schools made up of two-pounders may only want a Tiny Torpedo

For continued information on catching schooling bass....
http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/School-Bass.html

and

http://www.austinbassfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1247493356/3

· Registered
468 Posts
My dad and I were there. We spent most of or day trolling up and down the rocks by the dam. That's were most of ours were caught. Did notice several boats circled around towards the end. We were wondering what all that was. Seemed like everyone was within casting distance of each other but they were all busy. Today was my third time out so next time I'll know what's up when I see a bunch of boats on top of each other. Fun day othe water with my dad, starting to really like that lake!

· Registered
11,981 Posts
Fished today with Moonraker, no real pattern, but we caught plenty of slot fish, maybe one or two unders and no overs. Did get in on the tail end of the schooling action. We were outfished by the bobber fishermen, but we managed to boat quite a few. For the day, I would say we caught 15-20 fish with the best being 4-5 pounds. Had my over hooked up but he was in some thick stuff and lost him. Looked at David and said "that is a dangerous cast" about a split second before he destroyed my bait. Ready for the tourney next week, making a few adjustments from today and should be a fun one.

· Registered
221 Posts
I fished it Sat with a buddy, ashamed to report that we avoided catching a single fish all morning. saw all those boats at the damn, but in a kayak, the trip across the lake didn't look so appealing. Ranger, I think the downsizing would've helped. Still seemed like a good lake, would like to try again.

· Registered
5,343 Posts
Thanks Robert.  Following is some more useful information. I need to pick up some watermelon crankbaits ;D.

Fishing Report for BASTROP
Return to search page

Date Report
Jun 16, 2010 Water lightly stained. Black bass are fair on watermelon spinnerbaits and crankbaits. Crappie are fair on minnows and white tube jigs. Channel and blue catfish are very good on shrimp and stinkbait. Yellow catfish are slow.

About TPWD | Contact Us | Accessibility | Site Policies | Complaints | Intranet | TRAILS Search | TexasOnline | Compact with Texans | Report Fraud

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, TX 78744
Toll Free: (800) 792-1112, Austin: (512) 389-4800
Content of this site © Texas Parks and Wildlife Department unless otherwise noted.

Last modified: July 3, 2008, 4:25 pm

· Registered
581 Posts
Fished Bastrop on Saturday with a couple of friends on the water around 7 a.m. off by 12:30 p.m., bass were schooling managed to get 13 unders and about 35-40 slot fish; bite was hot on clear topwaters and spoons.  Very fun day of fishing!! :D

· Registered
126 Posts
Fished with  One_Mo_Cast yesterday from 6 till 12. Caught over 30 fish we lost count. All fish but 1 came on white ice flukes. Fished in front of the dam with only 4 or 5 fish there, then headed to the grass point  just west of the north shore ramp I think, got into them good there. Most were good slot fish only a few unders and one nice 4 lber.

· Registered
129 Posts
575B4F564D4846514B564D574651230 said:
Fished with  One_Mo_Cast yesterday from 6 till 12. Caught over 30 fish we lost count. All fish but 1 came on white ice flukes. Fished in front of the dam with only 4 or 5 fish there, then headed to the grass point  just west of the north shore ramp I think, got into them good there. Most were good slot fish only a few unders and one nice 4 lber.
How are you rigging your flukes: weighted hooks, unweighted hooks, through the dorsal or the side, splitshot?

Thanks,
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.