· Registered
2,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Date:  01/26/11
Lake:  Bastrop
Air Temp:  36 at 8:30am
Water Temp:  72 by hot water discharge, 60ish in the rest of the lake
Water Clarity:  Somewhat Stained
Got there around 8:30am, air temp 36, and headed immediately for the hot water to take advantage of the heat - water temp was 72.  Hubby (Pumasoup) caught a couple that went 2lbs, a dink, and then I caught a nice 5lb.  Headed out of the hot water and hit the dam, water temp 60, fished it all the way and got one bite/in the boat.  Trolled across to Cactus Point, couple of hits and then finally a 3lb on the west side of Cactus Point.  We were there from 8:30 to 5:30 and only got 7 in the boat.  Our worst day ever.  :(  I threw everything I had at them and they just wouldn't hit on the usual stuff.  I caught the 5lb bass on a storm DD crankbait as I was systematically going through all my baits to see if I could scare up a bite.  Not sure why exactly things were so different today.  We were there Saturday and again on Monday and caught a fair number.  Maybe today just wasn't our day.  On a good note, the scenery was really nice with the steam coming off the warm water.  The sunset was gorgeous as well and painted everything golden.  I got a couple nice pics and posted them to an album but the forum won't let me post the link because I'm a newbie. I'll have Hubby post it in a reply to this msg.
Cheers!
Deb

· Registered
52 Posts
Chitown - I guess we've been spoiled at Bastrop lately... Yeah, it's been a Dink Fest these past few months, but boating 20-40 fish on an average day is nice. Today the goal was quality over quantity and that made quite a difference. Going after the bigger fish was a good lesson, but it certainly cut down on the numbers. Still, like they say, a bad day fishing beats a good day working any time!

· Registered
904 Posts
Very nice report deb. Yea catching 20-40 fish average will get you spoiled sometimes. My husband and I fish this lake almost every weekend and when you have low numbers it really really sucks. I guess we are somewhat spoiled.lol. Again nice detailed report.
Debbie V.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
Good report,great pics congrats. any day you doon't smell skunk is a good day. ;) ;)

· Registered
57 Posts
Congrats on the PB. I think your right about going for quality and the numbers drop. We've been trying the same thing lately. It seems about 5 lbs is the best we can do at Bastrop. I heard the record is only 9 something. We will keep trying.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Great report, sounds like you guys have been doing a good job out there. Congrats on your PB.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.