Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you kidding!!!!! The tourney was a bad idea......thought it would be fun but it turned out very disorganized IMO.You were allowed to weigh in dead fish without a problem which really pissed me off ; also the measure stick was not accurate by any means.....It would have taken a 21 1/2 to cover the 21 on everyones usual gator stick which led to many limits dropped down to 2-3 fish sacks....terrible!!!! Not to mention the disrespect of other boats fishing right up  in your spot with you.......casting toward your boat fighting for the same 20ft area of water with you.........ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? Or what about the boat that was fishing with multiple poles in the water with bobbers and minnows????Did anyone else see that???? People might try to say he was not in the tourney but he was at the weigh in sitting with a raffle ticket in hand.  .......ARE YOU KIDDING ME????The worst part of the whole deal was allowing you to weigh in the dead fish and then just tossing them back in the water.....That just floored me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
What?

I fished this tournament and had a great time. Imo was well organized. Fish were measured and released as quickly as possible. It is bastrop. 90 degree water and a warm day, makes it hard on the fish in the livewell. There was lots of food and some very nice door prizes given away. Thanks for putting on the tournament Charlie, I will be there again next yr.

Some people are just complainers, if they cant catch fish they find all kinds of challenges with the way things are run. This guy is probably saying the winner's of the tournament used live bait and multiple poles to catch the winning weight. By the way Larry (swimbaits dad) won the tournament. Those of us who frequent this board and fish the tournament know what a stand up guy Larry is as well as a fantastic fisherman. Great job to all who put on this tournament.

Jim ;)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I took down my first post. I know as a matter of fact that Larry would never use live bait in a T and he is a great fisherman. If there was someone using live bait, It sounds like the better man won.....

Chris

·
Registered
247 Posts
yes the water is hot and fish die in the livewell, but why dump the fish like trash? Is a Game warden there gleefully watching all the dead fish being thrown in the lake ? I doubt it.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Guys, this has all the making of a pi$$ing match. However, Mike Hail did a good job of posting his concerns and so far all the replies have been constructive.

Is there an official copy of the rules somewhere?

Also, to avoid looking childish, I would suggest that somebody take the lead and come up with 3-4 things that can be used as constructive ways to improve this event as friendly suggestions for next year.

Also consider that perhaps this may not be "your" event to change. These guys have ran this thing for a long time and do a good job of it. They can't control what anglers do after their fish are done at the scales.

Any personal attacks or insults can't be tolerated.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I posted this in the wrong thread, this is where it belongs ... SORRY...

BTW.... Congrats to the Swimbait boys!!!!

There were plenty of dead fish after the T but I also talked to Jill that works the pay station at the South shore and she told me that they pumped water in on Tuesday and had a strong current all week. Power plant mgrs said that also caused around 300 dead fish to float into the intake.

I know dead fish after a T is a major concern. But with that being said, we do need to get rid of about half the population on that lake. There are a couple of regulars on the lake that are going to start a petition to change the slot or come up with some other idea to help out there. The petition will go to a biologist who will then shock and make a study to see what to do...

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is easy for me to say it was a great tournament as my son and I won the tournament.  We were extremely lucky to catch a 22" bass on Bastrop as the fishing was very difficult, we only weighed in 4 fish.

The lake was pretty busy as there were two other tournaments going on at the same time,  a couples club and another club tournament. Probably over a 100 boats in all which is quite a lot on Lake Bastrop. Therefore there were boats around us all day long.  I hope I did't get into anyone elses fishing spot.  I certainly tried not to.

I have mixed emotions on weighing in dead fish.  We did not weigh in any dead fish but I believe you should be allowed to as no one intentionally kills their fish and it is difficult to keep them alive in hot weather.  However you should not throw them back into the lake as it is illegal.  Mabe Charlie could have a cooler with ice at the next tournament where people could deposit their dead fish.

Overall I believe Charlie did an oustanding job in running the tournament.  I will certainly be there next year Lord willing

Thank you Charlie.

Larry

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
5A583230304C4750000 said:
It is easy for me to say it was a great tournament as my son and I won the tournament.  We were extremely lucky to catch a 22" bass on Bastrop as the fishing was very difficult, we only weighed in 4 fish.

The lake was pretty busy as there were two other tournaments going on at the same time,  a couples club and another club tournament. Probably over a 100 boats in all which is quite a lot on Lake Bastrop. Therefore there were boats around us all day long.  I hope I did't get into anyone elses fishing spot.  I certainly tried not not.

I have mixed emotions on weighing in dead fish.  We did not weigh in any dead fish but I believe you should be allowed to as no one intentionally kills their fish and it is difficult to keep them alive in hot weather.  However you should not throw them back into the lake as it is illegal.  Mabe Charlie could have a cooler with ice at the next tournament where people could dseposit their dead fish.

Obverall I believe Charlie did an oustanding job in running the tournament.  I will certainly be there next year Lord willing

Thank you Charlie.

Larry
Class act right there.....

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
043A3F29395E0 said:
[quote author=5A583230304C4750000 link=1244466232/0#6 date=1244472600]It is easy for me to say it was a great tournament as my son and I won the tournament.  We were extremely lucky to catch a 22" bass on Bastrop as the fishing was very difficult, we only weighed in 4 fish.

The lake was pretty busy as there were two other tournaments going on at the same time,  a couples club and another club tournament. Probably over a 100 boats in all which is quite a lot on Lake Bastrop. Therefore there were boats around us all day long.  I hope I did't get into anyone elses fishing spot.  I certainly tried not not.

I have mixed emotions on weighing in dead fish.  We did not weigh in any dead fish but I believe you should be allowed to as no one intentionally kills their fish and it is difficult to keep them alive in hot weather.  However you should not throw them back into the lake as it is illegal.  Mabe Charlie could have a cooler with ice at the next tournament where people could dseposit their dead fish.

Obverall I believe Charlie did an oustanding job in running the tournament.  I will certainly be there next year Lord willing

Thank you Charlie.

Larry
Class act right there.....
[/quote]

As always.....

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is the first tourney that I have ever fished. I did notice the guy fishing with minnows and using a cast net to catch them. I told my partner that he was not fishing in the tourney and then we saw him at the weigh-in. But I didn't notice all the other things. I have a question.....What is proper fishing etiquette when in a tourney?

When I was fishing on the same bank or general area I would just go around if I came up on someone. Are there some general rules for how close you should or shouldn't get?

Thanks in advance, Dani

GOOD TIMES :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
78574C5B5C574C5A3E0 said:
This is the first tourney that I have ever fished. I did notice the guy fishing with minnows and using a cast net to catch them. I told my partner that he was not fishing in the tourney and then we saw him at the weigh-in. But I didn't notice all the other things. I have a question.....What is proper fishing etiquette when in a tourney?

When I was fishing on the same bank or general area I would just go around if I came up on someone. Are there some general rules for how close you should or shouldn't get?

Thanks in advance, Dani

GOOD TIMES :)

Generally, if someone is fishing the same area I want to fish, I will pull in behind them. If I come up on someone head on after I've already been in a spot or moving down a bank for a while, I will hold my ground as long as I can stand, but usually once I get within casting distance, if they don't begin to go around me, I will go outside of them, unless I REALLY want to fish that 100ft of bank.

Offshore spots you have to handle a little differently, but just use common sense. I usually will pass by a spot until later if I get beat, but on a lake like Bastrop, there will probably be a boat on an offshore spot at any given time during the day. You might just have to stay off 100ft or so until the boat that is already there leaves.

Just use common sense, if you think that you would be offended if someone else did what you are doing, then you are probably too close.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off let me say congrats to the winners of the tourney!!!!! Job well done under the tough circumstances...........Now..........By no means was I trying to say they were using live bait to win.......Where you got that idea I am still not sure.....I was just trying to point out some things that I saw and that was not typical in my eyes.......It does not matter what excuses anyone makes on the conditions of the water or the weather, weighing in dead fish and  then throwing back in dead fish is flat out unsportsman like!!!!! I will stick to my guns on that and guarantee I will take a loss anyday  and fresh fish on ice for the house before I ever go to that level.

Constructive Ideas:

1.) When doing livewell checks in the morn. if you see a pontoon entering with 10+ poles rigged with bobbers.........Think about it!!!

2.)State which measure stick you are going to be using at weigh in  before the Tourney day so that everyone has a chance to get the same stick.....espically on a slot lake where the tournament  results rely more on length rather than the weight.

3.) Have a substantial penalty for undersize,oversize,and dead fish......That will make the angler pay a little more attention on what is going on throughout the day to ensure they are within the rules.

4.)To sum it all up where everyone is totally clear and there is no confusion of anything...... have a printable set of Final rules that everyone has access to, that states everything in a whole so there is no arguement after the fact.

Just my 2cents.....................

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
I fished this tourney by myself and had a great time! Thanks for the people that put it on. As for as the fishing was concerned I got on a really good bite, and caught over 30 fish on the day. However, finding the right size was a problem.........caught only 3 "unders". It was VERY crowded and you had to be patient.........got cut off a couple of times going down a grassline......but, no problem. I wouldn't do it, but it's part of fishing a crowded tourney I guess.
Now, as far as the rules go........I got a "printable" sheet of paper rules in my bag that explained EVERYTHING for the tournament....including what board they would weigh in on and that there would be no penalty for dead fish, etc.........I had no problem with it. I did see some dead fish floating afterwards and that is a shame, and I agree that they should have been put in an ice chest and eaten. But, as for as the rules are concerned, I thought they were up front!! I'll fish it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems like on a slot lake (or any lake for that matter) the touraments should go to a Catch-Photo-Release.
This is what we do in the kayak tournaments.
You put the fish on a ruler and take a digital photo with a code word in the photo. At the end you "weigh in" your photos. Most inches wins.

Seems silly to catch a bunch of 17"-20" fish and then a guy with 3 14.5" fish win.
And you shouldn't have 21"+ fish in a live well all day on a lake in the 90+ degrees. Your just killing the good fish that are there. You will end up with a lake thats full of small fish.

Works real smooth after the tourny is over, no dead fish big or small, and if you want to keep a few unders for dinner the throw them in the live well.
Better for the fish, better for the lake, and better for the reputation of the tournament.

Just an idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts