Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught 15 Sunday afternoon and evening. I caught all but 4 on a drop shot trick worm set up. The other 4 were all big and were caught on a buzzbait late.

I could have gotten better numbers probably using a small crank, but I wanted to work on the drop shot technique and I made myself stay with it until it got dark. I then rewarded myself by allowing myself to use a black buzz bait at dark. OHHHHH THE BLOWUPS! Those BASSTROP bass can get nasty after dark.

Fished the drop shot on the outside edge of the grass line on main and secondary points. Used my trolling motor and electronics to stay right on the edge of the grass and actually just dragged my rig without casting very often. This way I could pin point my rig to the grass edge at all times.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Stayed until dark on Saturday. Boy, the skeeters (not the boats) came out in force as soon as it got dark. I was fine all day and then, pow, skeeter city. And I forgot the skeeter spray... I would have loved to stay out a little longer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So THAT'S why my ankles are all chewed up! :-[

Whats up with the late spawning bass when the water temp is at 75+ degrees? I thought the shallow water fish I saw were probably carp until one of them laid into my buzzbait in about a foot of water. She was loaded with eggs and had a bloody red tail by the way.

Also saw something else strange. I spooked something off the bank and it swam out a few feet and then disappeared under water only to resurface behind me out in the open. All of a sudden something slammed into it. It disappeared momentarily again and then I saw it again swimming on top. Soon another blast and it never appeared again. Maybe it was a rat or a baby nutra, but whatever hit it sounded distinctly like a typical bass top water explosion. It was so dark I couldn't make out what it was.

That's when I got the brilliant idea of tying on the buzz bait. :eek: duhhhh!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
0B2512292928460 said:
So Also saw something else strange.  I spooked something off the bank and it swam out a few feet and then disappeared under water only to resurface behind me out in the open.  All of a sudden something slammed into it.  It disappeared momentarily again and then I saw it again swimming on top.  Soon another blast and it never appeared again.  Maybe it was a rat or a baby nutra, but whatever hit it sounded distinctly like a typical bass top water explosion.  It was so dark I couldn't make out what it was.
That weird thing you saw and heard is probably a beaver. They make one heck of tail slap on the surface before going under when trying to run off predators.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.