Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saturday the rising sun split the wedge between heaven and earth in spectacular fashion. My journey down 95 through pastoral Blackland Prairie ended at Bastop’s North Shore Park at 7am. As usual, all the bass boats were already launched, so with no line I backed straight down the ramp.

I really like North Shore Park‘s boat ramp. I can drop the Uncle Buck’s Pond Prowler off the tailgate into the water and quickly load batts, troller, rods, bags, etc., before hand towing the boat down the boardwalk to the courtesy dock slip. After parking, I easily rig out the boat in the slip. Very convenient and more courteous than assembling the boat on the ramp.

Different wind direction had me switch starting point, so I fished my way south around the cove. I got bit on senkos and spinnerbait. The bite in that cove was tough so I headed to the cove opposite the dam. I got ten or so fish on drop-shot. A yakker came by and chatted me up. He said he’d done really good at Buescher last weekend. He’d caught twenty this morning and added several more with a 1/16oz-weighted twin-tail grub as we visited.

The yakker paddled back towards the South Shore where he’d put in. A couple of bass boats joined me in the cove. I think they were part of a derby. They fished the reeds very slowly and were catching fish. One of them mentioned catching a 19” kicker at a different spot. I needed my luck to change because all I was catching was unders. The afternoon was wearing on so I headed in.

I tied up at the courtesy dock and heard my name. I looked over and saw a long time acquaintance at the adjacent slip. I don’t know if y’all ever noticed my avatar. This guy texted it to me seven years ago. Seeing him on the water was pretty cool. He has a nice blue Tracker with a 60.

For Sunday, my wife suggested I go back to Bastrop or maybe Lady Bird. I thought about going to Lady Bird because its half the distance and the fish are twice as big. I woke up at 4:30am and you know it, I’m going to Decker. Happy Mother’s Day.

Today was epic. Both ramps were open. Boats and yaks were blasting off into the pre-dawn darkness. I hoisted a lantern and made turns on an easterly heading. I brought two fully charged batteries, because I planned on making a long run. Looking at my electronics, I ran more than ten miles on twelve volts. Yeah, buddy!

My first cast and the Kraken SP1 got bumped. Second cast it got slammed. Every fish I caught was three times the size of the biggest Bastrop fish I caught. These Decker fish were all plump and very mean. I caught over twenty, half of them on a Chatterbait. I lost a couple good’uns including one I’d estimate was four pounds. About when I lost that one, the angler next to me caught a sixteen pound catfish on his chatterbait (nice meeting you Alphonso).

After noon, I started the long trek back, pausing to rest the batts and motor and fish a bit. A third the way back, I pulled over by some reeds and fired the Chatterbait out. Half way back to the boat a big’un smoked it. I got all buck feverish. It’s been awhile since I’d made a good fight like this. Got him in the boat and exclaimed, “Thank You, Jesus!” Only a prayer. No sense in showing out, I was the only person around for miles. I holstered my rods. Done. Cowabunga!
B7DBEF35-59E3-4642-A103-09DA9CD4EFEE.jpeg

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've Googled Kraken SP1 and got no results. I found Lunkerhunt Kraken spinnerbaits but no chatterbaits. Were they discontinued?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've Googled Kraken SP1 and got no results. I found Lunkerhunt Kraken spinnerbaits but no chatterbaits. Were they discontinued?
I’m glad you asked. I started the morning throwing a Lunkerhunt Kraken (SP1) 1/2 oz spinnerbait white with tandem silver willow blades and BPS white triple tail grub trailer. The big willow is a Booyah Counterstrike blade. No trailer hook.

Later in the morning, I saw a man named Alphonso catch a big’un and I asked what he was using. He told me chatterbait.

I cut off the spinnerbait and tied on a Z-man Elite Chatterbait 1/2 oz white with Zoom swimming super fluke jr paddle tail trailer. The Chatterbait I was using had a white painted blade. I looked for one at Field and Stream Monday but they didn’t have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts