Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished by myself today from 9:00M until 3:00pm. Same ole same. Fished small Academy H20 crank bait around eel grass. Caught 22 but somehow managed to miss 15 others. You know; fish flashes at bait, misses, then disappears. Apparently some of those bass need glasses!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Wife and I went today. Got on the water about 8am. It was already windy when we got on the water and it got worse later in the day. The sky went from sunny, to partly sunny, to partly cloudy to cloudy. I could swear the wind was blowing 25+ today. The wind cut the fishability of the lake down to about a third. We wound up with 38 and had a lot less missed fish over my trip yesterday. Big fish of the day was #3-1.

Jeez, I wish Conroe still had some veggies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The hydrilla is gone, but the fish are still there. Though there are two lakes that I don't fish from once it warms up on the weekends and Conroe is one of them. You can be burning up with no wind and still get beat to death from all the wakes. The other one is LBJ.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hydrilla is gone, but the fish are still there. Though there are two lakes that I don't fish from once it warms up on the weekends and Conroe is one of them. You can be burning up with no wind and still get beat to death from all the wakes. The other one is LBJ.
I used to tolerate Conroe's never ending waves and lame-brained rec boaters when it had the green stuff in it. I live 20 minutes from Inland Marine but I won't be putting my boat in that wash tub any time soon. I love Bastrop but I do get tired of the drive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Sister lives in Walden and she is always wanting me to come down and take her fishing on Conroe. I have a very bad back and just isn't worth the pain to fish it even for her.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think we chatted as we were both loading up. I was cartopping my blue kayak.

That wind on Saturday was no joke. Probably the highest consistent winds I've fished in. I finished with 11, mostly fishing in and around the deeper eel grass with a super fluke or senko. Best one was this guy pitching to the reeds within sight of the launch to start the morning. I feel like I could have caught more staying anchored in the grass, but I was looking for some bigger fish.

IMG_1817-sm.jpg

My Wife and I went today. Got on the water about 8am. It was already windy when we got on the water and it got worse later in the day. The sky went from sunny, to partly sunny, to partly cloudy to cloudy. I could swear the wind was blowing 25+ today. The wind cut the fishability of the lake down to about a third. We wound up with 38 and had a lot less missed fish over my trip yesterday. Big fish of the day was #3-1.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we chatted as we were both loading up. I was cartopping my blue kayak.

That wind on Saturday was no joke. Probably the highest consistent winds I've fished in. I finished with 11, mostly fishing in and around the deeper eel grass with a super fluke or senko. Best one was this guy pitching to the reeds within sight of the launch to start the morning. I feel like I could have caught more staying anchored in the grass, but I was looking for some bigger fish.

View attachment 31674
Yep, that was me. I enjoyed our conversation. I have fished Bastrop for 11 years and without a doubt, that was the strongest wind I can remember.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I sill haven't figured out how a bass can hit a crank bait and not get hooked. When I feel one hit it with no fish on the other end, I'm like how did it escape both treble hooks? I would like to see it on film. They must hit the top side with their mouth closed. It doesn't happen much but when it does I'm still shocked.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I sill haven't figured out how a bass can hit a crank bait and not get hooked. When I feel one hit it with no fish on the other end, I'm like how did it escape both treble hooks? I would like to see it on film. They must hit the top side with their mouth closed. It doesn't happen much but when it does I'm still shocked.
I caught 2 fish this past week with the hooks embedded along the topside of their body nowhere near the mouth. They hit the jerkbait funny or I swiped it into them. Either way, there's something to be said about thin gauge sticky sharp hooks that most guys scoff at (because they'll bend out if you lock your drag and don't play the fish). I fish the thinnest, stickiest hooks I can get away with because that equates to less pressure to drive that point past the barb.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hahaha I wonder about the exact same thing. I catch everything INSIDE the boat with those things, my net, carpet, any fishing line including the one its attached to, anchor rope, towels. I even smacked a beer can in the boat on accident with one and it hooked THAT, but somehow a fish can get off...?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It amazes me how a bass can spit a lure out also but apparently, it happens all of the time. I know I had at least 7 fish hit my crank bait last Saturday and escaped. I think that there are times when bass zip past a lure and snag it with their body, and zip off. We all know that bass bite lures but somehow don't get hooked. Bill Dance shows a video on his show of a bass inhaling a lure and spitting it right back out. I tried to find it online but was unsuccessful.

And yes MattATX, treble hooks sure as [email protected]&% catch on everything else, especially me!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Those backstabbers(squarebill type) have some questionable reviews via tacklewarehouse. The lipless however seems pretty good. Never used one myself so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fished by myself today from 9:00M until 3:00pm. Same ole same. Fished small Academy H20 crank bait around eel grass. Caught 22 but somehow managed to miss 15 others. You know; fish flashes at bait, misses, then disappears. Apparently some of those bass need glasses!
Shoot me a PM so you dont have to fishing alone. I live in the area

·
Registered
855 Posts
I went back out yesterday from 4:00 - 9:30pm. Some days you're the window. Unfortunately I was the bug. I lost SIX fish on jumps. SIX!

Boated 10. Best five totaled a paltry 82.25".

Went exploring to start. Wind was tough for the first few hours. Found them pitching a Sweet Beaver to standing timber and casting senkos to rocky banks. I didn't even pull into my favorite flat until 7:30. The highlight was catching my first ever spinnerbait fish (and 2 more after).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts