Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my first time fishing Bastrop. Fished from 6:00am to 2:00pm in the north end of the lake. The water temp was on average 92 degrees (crazy how warm that hot tub lake is). We fished mostly around propeller point and up around the boy scout camp. Propeller area was our best spot.

I threw flukes and fluke Jr in ice white, bait fish, water mellon candy and shad colors...I fished them weightless and on a weighted hook...I did not catch a thing on those. Tried throwing a Yum Money Hound shad color in around the moss and reeds. I had a couple hits, but didn't land anything. I did catch one on a 7" Yum Dinger.

My friend tied on a small silver and blue shallow crank. He quickly pulled in 6-7. So I put on a the only thing that was similar, a silver and blue Pop-R. First cast, the second it hit the water, I caught my very first bass on a top water! Then I caught my second and third...man that was awesome!

When the top water wasn't working anymore, I put on anything that had blue. I ended up using a worm with a flat curled up tail (sorry don't know what it is called...not a grub, but a grub like tail). Anyway, that thing did great.

I ended up catching 9 for the day, which believe it or not (and I sort of hate to admit this), is the most I have ever caught in a day. My friend ended up catching 13. So that was by far our best fishing trip.

I aspire to be like Fishytx and so many others on this site and catch 60-87 fish in a day. That's just crazy!

· Premium Member
3,622 Posts
That's a good number for the Strop right now man. Congrats on the topwater bite, not much more fun than seeing a fish crush a bait!

If you stay with Bastrop it turns on out there up shallow during the spring and fall it isn't unheard of to boat over 20 a trip. Congrats on the solid outing and thanks for the report!

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for your report.

· Registered
50 Posts
agent k what kind of boat were you in? i was there sunday and had a pretty fair day but fished as hard as i ever have...didn't catch anything of size until around 5pm along the dam...got 4 in the 4lb class on VERY small spinnerbait.....(i was in a blue ranger with 150 johnson fastrike)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.