Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday I fished Brushy Creek from Veteran’s Park while my son had his hour piano lesson. I caught a cutie-pie above the dam. I spent the majority of my time at the pool below the dam where I could see the fish swimming in and out of the shadows. I missed a couple of strikes, but at least I caught one. That would become the theme of the week.

Yesterday I went to Decker. I launched first. I made the long transit to the home of the giants. I watched the sky and saw three shooting stars from the meteor shower. I made a wish. I cast out and got struck, but didn’t hook up. Was it a first strike jinx? I thought Friday the Thirteenth expired at midnight. Dawn broke and I cast out the SSJr and a junior sized fish bumped it a couple times but no hook up.

A bass boat settled in near me. I heard the boater coaching and instructing his passenger. The noobie cast out and got a good bend in his rod. The noob posed for a pic on the back deck, holding the 17” largemouth. His first cast ever and caught a fish. I think he jinxed the whole lake. A couple minutes later, the boater and I each caught a small bass.

I started fishing my way back to the ramp. I caught a couple sunfish on drop-shot. I got to the ramp around noon. I interviewed anglers at the ramp. Two bass boats (two men each) reported no fish caught. A yakker told me he caught five and his buddy caught one.

Today, Todd and I went to Bastrop. We launched at 6am and fished for five hours. Again, the fishing was a grind. Todd caught four fish and I caught one. Fish were schooling and Todd did manage to catch a schoolie. My fish came early on the spook near the reeds.

I managed to remain skunk free for the week but only by the grace of a single bass on each of the last three trips. Hope y’all are getting the good bites!

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I saw you reeling one of those in from the middle of the giant cove.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was on Bastrop from 6-9 Sunday morning. Not too much doing. Ended up catching 4 and missing more than that from either short strikes or fish too small to do anything other than run into the lure.

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bass were schooling. We were not in the mood to chase around playing “whack-a-mole.” We spot locked on the outside hydrilla edge at Buzzard Point. A school popped up off the starboard bow. Todd was loaded and cocked with a pecil popper. He bombed a long cast in to the action and was struck. The 14” fish was nearly 14” around, perhaps the most rotund bass I’d ever seen at Bastrop. The schoolies must be eating good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts