·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished from 8am to 12:30PM
water temp-88 in the discharge at 12:30pm
water clarity-4-5 feet
wind-appx 20

wow what a day.  I left the house around 7, got thru Manor and then had a blow out on the trailer.  Slapped the spare on and onward to the lake.  They were schooling by the time I got there but today, they seemed extra finicky.  Anyone who has fished there knows you can sometimes throw the box at the schoolies and they'll act like they can't see your lure.  Anyhow, I stuck with works for me and I managed about 30 fish up to 4lbs.  It probably was one of my best mornings out there.  I did find some fish that were schooling in a pocket next to the bank and for a while it was a fish every cast.  The fish shut off around 12:15.  I headed home and took 71 this time and then the other tire blew out near the airport.  Having the spare already on I disconnected the boat and went to discount tire.  Both of tires that blew out were goodyear marathons with plenty of tread left(maybe 7-9 32nds).  I know those are supposed to be the tire to have but on the other hand; I got the boat used and have no clue how old those tires are.  Overall the trip was a lot of work and alot of fun.

Matt

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow!!...........Unusual to say the least to lose both tires on the same day like that. Don't think I'll be using Marathon tires. Hopefully my Carlisle tires will hold up better. At any rate, sounds like a good trip anyway. I'll have to get out there soon!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
That sounds like you had the best and worst day rolled up into one. At least you got on them good and now you have two new tires. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Glad you were able to enjoy your fishing trip despite all of your unwanted troubles. Boats can be a pain. But that’s the price one has to pay in order to have a little fun I guess.

The number one thing that wears out a trailer tire is low air pressure. You have to maintain the correct air pressure at all times. I check mine all the time now because of that.

Speaking of which, I need to check mine again. I normally check mine about every other trip. Maintaining the proper air pressure helps to keep the rubber from separating from the steal belts is what I was told and that makes since. On my last blow out, the tire still looked new. But the rubber did separate at the steal belts and a big chunk came off the tire, and the tire just went down, so it didn’t really blow out on me. But I caught this in the boat ramp parking lot as I arrived at the lake, so I was able to change it out before it had a chance to blow out. Now, if I had driven on it for another mile or so, then I’m sure it would have blown out. I just got lucky and pulled into the parking lot right before it did go is all.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Dang Matt! Sounds like good fishing but bad luck on the trailer tires. I've had two flats/blowouts on one trip twice in the past 25 yrs of pulling a boat. The first time, like you, I had to DC the trailer and run for a new tire, never a happy situation. After that, I've always carried at least two spares. People often laugh at me because of all the backup stuff I bring on trips, but I believe in prevention and value my limited fishing time. I even carry spare bearings and all tools to replace them in case they go out. Hope it never happens to you again, but another spare is like having a raincoat to prevent the rain...

Academy even now carries all the hardware to mount an extra spare to your trailer tongue. They even had a fuel-water separator when I needed one a few weeks back. That store rocks. I just send them my paycheck every month... :p

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Yea man, I've not been lucky enough to blow 2 in one day but have blown one on the way to the coast and one when I got there. That's tough. I'm kinda like RO, maybe take too much back-up on trips but you got what you need when something happens. It doesn't really matter what the tread looks like on these trailer tires, it's how old and how much UV they've been exposed to. I used to be a Goodyear fan then I had a Badyear with them and went to Carlisle. Still not a great tire but there's not much else to choose from. Like Doug said, you gotta keep them full of air, and wheel covers help for storage. Some even jack the trailer off the ground to help save tires.

Glad you slayed those schoolies..

Dez

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's good advice to check the pressure.  I'm pretty good about that so I think the issue might have been heat, and tire age, or maybe quality.  Come to think of it I had a another goodyear marathon blowout on a skiboat trailer a few years ago.  The fishing at the strop is good right now.  For fun fishing for numbers bastrop is tough to beat, well except for when they school on fayette late summer :)

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
It doesn't really matter what the tread looks like on these trailer tires, it's how old and how much UV they've been exposed to.
This^

Trailer tires will rarely live long enough to wear out the tread. The only thing that seems to help me is to replace them every 2-3 years. In between that time make sure you check the air pressure every couple of trips. Goodyear Marathons are actually good tires, but they need 50PSI COLD to hold up. Usually that requires owning an air compressor as some quarter operated air machines at gas stations have trouble getting much over 35PSI.

Also single axle trailers just eat tires a lot faster than dual axle.

RO's advice about the pre packed bearing kits at Academy is solid and has saved me a time or two.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
73465A5C515550340 said:
 The only thing that seems to help me is to replace them every 2-3 years.   

I bought the new tires at discount so if they do blowout in a couple of years I'll get free replacement. I do agree that single axle trailers eat tires. With the discount tire cert program, that might be last set of tires I have to pay for on that boat :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Good info Dub! The last trailer tires I bought, were miss shipped Goodyear HMG 2020's, purchased 5 or 6 years ago at the tire store around the 5000 block of Burnet Rd. They say "Property of U-Haul" on the sides, But I've had no problems during this time, (30-35 local trips/yr. plus a couple to POC yearly) .
I will need to replace them soon however, as they are now going bald quickly on my Magnum single axle trailer. I'm considering Maxxis from Discount. Have any of you had any experience with these?

This probably shouldn't continue under "Black Bass Fishing Reports".

Thanks for any input!!!

Lowell

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I bought the new tires at discount so if they do blowout in a couple of years I'll get free replacement.  I do agree that single axle trailers eat tires.  With the discount tire cert program, that might be last set of tires I have to pay for on that boat :)
I did the same thing you did. Put two new tire on and I'm good to go for now on. You just can't beat that deal that discount tires offer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The killer of trailer tires is low pressure and towing too fast.

Goodyear Marathons are rated to be run at 50psi cold with a max speed of 65mph at that tire pressure.

Low tire pressure causes too much sidewall flexing which creates too much internal heat in the tire and in our Texas summer heat that's not good.

Low tire pressures and higher speeds are a recipe for tire failure.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
3936633A570 said:
The killer of trailer tires is low pressure and towing too fast.

Goodyear Marathons are rated to be run at 50psi cold with a max speed of 65mph at that tire pressure.

Low tire pressure causes too much sidewall flexing which creates too much internal heat in the tire and in our Texas summer heat that's not good.

Low tire pressures and higher speeds are a recipe for tire failure.

Thanks for the information. Very useful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.