Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn’t get better than a Decker/Bastrop weekend. I rolled up to the North Shore Park as dawn broke. Surprisingly the ramp traffic was nil, so I had time to leisurely rig out the Pond Prowler. I went straight to the main lake point and caught a fish from over the eel grass on the Chug Bug. I tossed a WW Senko up against the reeds and caught another one.

I drifted down the choice shoreline. I slow-rolled the Kraken spinnerbait along the hydrilla edge and it got smoked by an over! I led her around the boat twice and then I horsed the hook from her mouth, doh.

I was instantly reminded of the good’un I lost at the boat yesterday. That one short-lined a Rat-L-Trap and made two heart-stopping jumps, throwing the ‘trap on the second jump. After the first jump, in the clear Decker water next to the boat, I could see the bucketmouth yawn, go vertical and turn on the afterburners. It’s a terrifying sight and a helpless feeling. But that‘s just a bump in the road at Decker.

But losing an over at Bastrop? I couldn’t let the loss of this spinnerbait fish get me down. I looked up and down the shoreline and only one thing came to mind: make haste to the mainlake hump. The minimal boat traffic made it easy to locate and anchor up. Right away I started boating stout slot fish on the Texas-rigged ribbon tail worm. I didn’t have time to mourn the loss of the over, I had my hands full with hungry citizens of the hydrilla.

A Cajun boat posted up on the hump and they kept a courteous distance. I guess they were local yokels, because I overheard them describing the hump. All three men quickly boated and boxed unders. I’m a catch and release sportsman, but this lake needs its largemouth population managed by the grease.

They were joined by another boat and two of the teens went swimming next to the boats. Those of us that stayed dry were still catching fish. I was trying to behave and not show out. Reflexively I exclaimed, “Good Lord!” when a high-velocity drop-shot hooked fish jumped five feet out of the water. I bounced around the hump until noon and then I tried a couple spots, one known one unknown. I got eleven on the megatail and five on drop-shot. Off at 1pm.
B6DC1FDC-5C64-486E-9774-2BAB1B810F86.jpeg

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a perfect fishing story should include “one that got away.” The existentialistness of a trophy or lake record at the end of any cast fuels my obsession with fishing. I try to leave all that esoteric babble out of my posts. Like “Grumpier Old Men” looking for Catfish Hunter. I’ll catch him and let him go without telling anybody.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts