Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 word. Schoolies. I was out there on my yak today with my dad and the fish were going wild. I didn't catch all that many as I got a late start, but I think I caught around 5 to 6. My dad caught more than I did throughout the trip.

The most productive bait for me was a powerbait 4" ripple shad on a 1/8th lead head.

At one point I was taking my bait out of the water to throw it again. The bait was literally 4-6 inches out of the water next to my kayak (yes out of the water) and a crazy ass bass jumped out of the water, swallowed it, and went back under and started peeling drag. It was awesome.

To the guy who hooked me up with the swimbait, I appreciate it even though it got snagged... Also thanks for the information on bait choices for the lake.

All in all awesome day on the water.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I saw two kayaks this morning when we were putting in on the North Shore about 6:30-7:00, was that you fishing the point out by the buoys about that time?

My family and I fished from 7-11.  My daughter caught the biggest of the day, still in her PJs, lol.  My cranking battery decided to take a nose dive so we had to troll everywhere...  Nothing like trailering a boat by trolling motor.  I'm so glad that those ramps are so protected so that the wind didn't play havoc with me.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Great reports. I carry a set of jumper cables in my boat for that very reason...easier to jumpstart your big motor from a healthy trolling motor battery than disconnect all of the leads and move batteries around. I've also used them to charge my trolling motor batteries from my starter battery when driving across the lake in a T. Hope this helps for future reference.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice fish! Bastrop rocks. I don't catch monsters but they are usually over 16 inches and fiesty. That was us fishing those stumps past the first set of cattails near the launch. My dad caught 3 fish on a top water in about 30 minutes right on that point, and I couldn't get jack til we went to the discharge. I actually lost more fish than I caught, but had a good time.

The current out there was a little much for my kayak though, I couldn't get into position very well at all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
She caught it on a weightless t-rigged bass assassin. Still trying to teach them (boy 10, girl 9) how to set the hook. They lose a lot more than they catch. For the most part, though, the weedless rig helps them not to get caught on other things as often.

I noticed that the lake was down about a foot or so. Does that happen normally/often?

Who else talked their wife into waking up at 5am to go fishing on Mother's Day? :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
53606F6F150 said:
So I just posted a question about this same situation and then I read this post.  Powerbait ripple shad, maybe I'll give that a try.
Yeah, it worked well.

Also I did notice the lake was down as well. My usual spots and baits didn't produce so I had to get creative. Thats where the ripple shad and flukes came in. I hooked something big with a weightless fluke but when I set the hook the weight of the fish broke my line. I know it was a fish because I saw it come up to take it right below the surface. I wonder what it was.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ya, the lake level messed up several of my favorite spots so I tried a few new things. I had never tried a wacky rigged worm before. I caught 4 that way. Only bad thing was that my kids were fishing with my spinning rods so I had to try and cast that light weightless worm with a baitcaster. Not very easy and I couldn't cast it very far. Still caught a few on it though. I had some Yamamoto Senkos that were heavy, but the ones I had sank to fast for my liking. I used some thin gulp worms that were almost too light, but I liked the way they sank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.