Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Bastrop from 6-10am. I caught about 15, about 8 of which came in the first 45min to hour. They were not schooling, but hitting the top all over the place. Caught most of them on a zara spook. That was fun. Others caught on flukes and worms.

That's the report, now the question. I was up in one of the big coves catching fish and I didn't see a sole all morning in there. I knew it probably wasn't the best idea to fish shallow given the water temp, but I'm not a very good deep water fisherman. I ventured out of the cove at about 8 and there were like 6-7 boats at least out in front of the spillway on the dam and more along and out from the damn. How are they fishing out there? That must be the spot, but I'm not one to squeeze in with a bunch of other boats, but I was curious about how they fish that area.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually tried to fish some deeper water, but I didn't want to try and get in all those boats.  So I fished the steep ledge just off the bouys that extend from the South shore park.  I have to admit that the two fish I caught there I didn't even have the rod in my hands.  I fished an 8 inch watermelon red rattlesnake t-rigged and kept seeing stuff hit the top.  I put the rod down and tried top water.  I kept the rod between my ankle and the seat pedestal, if that makes sense, to keep it from being pulled in.  I caught both slowly drifting along that ledge while trying to catch fish on top.  I'd see a couple of bumps and it starting to pull, and I'd reach down and yank.  Pretty pathetic, but I was trying to figure out the fishing.  Both were much smaller than I caught in the cove, so I eventually went back.  

BTW, first year to fish Bastrop, obviously, but what's up with all the dead fish? Does that happen every year at this time?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ya you just have to burn a few trips and force yourself to fish deep structure using and trusting your electronics in order to gain confidence imo.

I've done the same while trying to gain confidence in using certain baits such as using a jig and crank baits. I'm still working on them dang cranks...They hate me! :-/

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was there on Sunday too. We didn't have that great of a trip in the morning. A buddy and I had only boated 20 fish by 10:30. I dropped him off and wanted to fish one more area.

Pulled up on my spot, and forced myself to fish extra deep. Looked fishy, I was seeing fish stacked on my graph, so I stopped to check it out. Next thing I knew I'm catching fish every cast.. about 11am. Deep!

Ended up catching 38 bass and lost a nice one... broke me off from catching so many fish.. my line was frayed. By 3:30 I had to tell someone, so I pulled up and told this guy, and he followed me over there while I did my final drift. His first two casts caught him some fish and we both caught for awhile...

I left cause I ran out of plastics... :(

Ended the day with 58 boated fish :cool: and loads of missed opportunities.

I've never had a slow day turn to an awesome day quite like that on bastrop before.. was amazing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. I've got to start trying deep water fishing. I wanted to try, but all I had was my Navionics chip to go on. Not that that's an excuse. I could still see where I was and what the contours were. But I broke my transducer off at Falcon the weekend before. I saved the transducer, but I had to get a new bracket. I have a Humminbird 798. Seems that the plastic brackets on those are a real problem, unfortunately. I didn't even hit anything, just went flying one time on the rough water from that weekend and it snapped off. :( I'm surprised the transducer survived because I didn't realize it for a while. I slowed after that rough hit and figured out something was wrong when it kept going from 15 to 35 ft deep.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was out on Bastrop also. Only managed 7 fish. Saw them everywhere. Shallow, mid and deep. I'm not much ito deep fishing but with the water temp allready in the mid 90's i may be forced to at the trop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.