Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured yesterday’s deluge would turn Lady Bird into a creamed coffee muddy mess. I considered my options. The last time I drove to Bastrop, I made it there and back on five cylinders. The hoopty is running better these days. Normally, I just give y’all the goods, but today y’all are getting the full podcast, so bear with me.

A couple weeks back, I changed the plugs and wires and discovered the number one plug ceramic was broken. I wondered why the front one would break. After a little bit of thought, I came up with a theory. It’s because while replacing the distributor a few years back (due to a bad Hall Effect sensor), I pulled the first plug to find Top Dead Center (because I had installed an inexpensive non-standard harmonic balancer). I think I must have dropped the plug. Anyhoo, the hoopty is running better, the in-line six firing super smooth. Quieter too, because I replaced the power steering pump and bolted on an A/C bypass pulley.

I thought about going to the MLF launch at Mansfield Dam Park this morning, to show fan support for the anglers. It said on the inter web that they had coffee and donuts. I stopped watching MLF a couple years back. I don’t like that MLF won’t let the anglers compete in Bassmasters. I heard that MLF pretty much put FLW out of business. So, I’m not going to MLF or Bass Pro Shops.

Last night, I watched the recording of FS1’s Bassmasters Day Four @ Lake Fork. I like MLF’s Marty Stone, but I think Tommy Sanders and Mark Zona are fantastic commentators. Patrick Walters had a five blow up on a spook and before he even set the hook, he hollered at the boat official to get the scale ready. Zona cracked me up when he said, “Walters is not afraid to tune up the marshal!” I don’t know if y’all saw it, but that was a CRAZY tournament! Congrats to home-lake hero Lee Livesay.

Five thirty A.M. and I’m rolling on glass down 95 drinking black coffee and jamming Lynyrd Skynyrd. I brought two sandwiches, ten rods and a gallon of water. Forum member Will pulled up behind me at the gate kiosk. It had only been a couple days since he’d helped me load the Pond Prowler into the bed of the hoopty at Pfork and hurt his back. He said today‘s weather was too good to sit out nursing a sore back. He showed me his latest soft plastic creations and they are dynamite.

I wished him luck and backed down the ramp. I flipped my buggy over and realized I‘d left the rear transom plate in the garage, so I grabbed a screwdriver and swapped the front plate to the back. No one was waiting, so I was able to get it swapped on the ramp. I put on my paddle vest and launched. I do appreciate the extra safety of wearing the PFD.

Yesterday while looking in the Statesman sport section for info on the MLF (of course nothing), I saw an article about the tragic drowning death of ex-Longhorn football great Pete Lammons. He fell from his bass boat while fishing a tournament at Sam Rayburn. My sympathies to his friends and family.

A bass boat was already working down the north side of the-mother-of-all coves, my normal start stretch. I made turns for the point on the opposite side. Once on station, I fan-cast a weightless fluke and quickly got five largemouth and a handsome crappie in the boat. I let the wind blow me to ”The Notch” and scored one on the el-trap on the way. I got four more on the fluke and three on shakeyhead all from the eel grass. I moved up to the reeds and got a senko fish, but I didn’t want to fish the reeds because of the increasing wind velocity ([email protected]).

I trolled over to mid-lake cove and anchored on the drop-shot honey-hole. Before the anchor line was even tight I had a drop-shot fish in the boat from 12 FOW. Next cast and my drop-shot snagged. I set the drop-shot rod in the floor of the boat and pulled on the anchor line. The anchor was snagged, too. I gave it a huge tug. When it pulled free, I lost my balance and nearly fell out of the boat. I regained my footing and looked down. I was standing on my drop-shot reel.

If y’all follow my posts, you know I’m not especially fond of these pencil grinding fairy wands, but for drop-shot they work pretty good. I tried to turn the reel handle, but it is seized, locked up tight. I hand over hand brought in the flouro leader from the snag. The reel is a Dick’s only Quantum Nitrous 30 $50 reel, but it was perfect for Drop-shot. I don’t think Quantum makes it anymore, so I don’t know what I’m going to do. Take it apart maybe, file on the brass a little bit.

I had been looking for hydrilla all morning but I found none. Yesterday, we found NO Hydrilla at Decker! Really, no hydrilla here either? I headed over to the main lake hump and graphed a tiny stand of grass in 12 FOW, too deep for eel grass. I anchored and cast out shakeyhead and brought up a little strand of green hydrilla. I caught four more largemouth on the shakeyhead from the hump. Off at 1pm.
C17E6076-5B73-4B55-8CE6-41E351DE69EC.jpeg
447E0D04-65A9-4494-A604-B9FEA7A72A03.jpeg

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Sorry to hear about your DS rig, Jer.

Anyway, we have fished Bastrop for about four decades not counting Boy Scout days in the late 60s. I saw that you mentioned "the Mother of all coves." I am wondering what cove is that. We had named a cove, The Mother. The perfect spawn cove when it was so thick of stumps and trees you couldn't cast across the cove in the skinny areas. Hence, The Mother. Other names we called the coves were Decapitation, Tuning Fork, Boy Scout and Kwai. We never knew the names marked on the current maps so we came up with our own. The map they gave folks back in the day was general topo and no names.

Tuning Fork was named for a tree stump that looked like a tuning fork. The tree is no longer there. Boy Scout was named because that was where most scouts camped. Summer camps were usually in the Mother.

For the old timers, extra credit on why we named Decapitation and Kwai coves their monikers.

We hit the 'trop yesterday as well. My first, third and sixth casts netted bass. Nice chunks. We ended up with 31 for the day up to 3lbs all shallow and on softs. Some puked shad and one coughed up a nice crawdad. We actually saw a few on beds on the main lake. First bedders we've seen all spring. But we fished GT for the most of late winter and early spring and saw zero bedding. Grass will be back unless they start spraying which they might since we saw what looked like giant salvinia. We couldn't get that close to it to verify but it looked like what we saw on GT. That won't be good for the constant level lake. Water temps were 72-75 main lake and 80 in the back of one cove.

And we saw one bald eagle.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I personally like the shoreline just past Shovel Cove leading into Mid-Lake cove.

Love catching the sight of bald eagles on Bastrop. I will stop fishing and watch them soar. I normally don't stop fishing for anything other than to retie (always retie), rebait, retrieve, rehydrate, and reapply sunscreen.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Great report as always Jeremy. Hate to hear about your DS rig and will be interested to see what you get as a replacement if the filing doesn't work. This is one lake I have never fished but enjoyed reading all of the reports on. Sounds like I might have to take the yak there sometime to try it out.

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Hookem (posted 3 months ago):

“We have used these terms for years and years...

North shore coves we call Tuning Fork(there used to a tree stump that looked like a tuning fork, Boy Scout(because that is where we used to camp late 60s/early 70s as Boy Scouts and the Mother(as in The Mother of All Coves)

There's also As shole point, Thor's Twins, Little Choke, Decapitation Cove(because of the cable that used to run the width of the cove that you had to duck under)” Close Quote.

My apologies, Hookem, as I misused the names you gave us. I tried to remember what you had called the very large Mid-Lake cove. Since Mid-Lake Cove is so big, I wrongly assigned it the Mother name. I should have researched before confusing everybody.

I am a “storyteller”, as such, y’all must know, my reports are hyperbole, pure fiction with names changed to protect the innocent. Here are the clarifications: The drop-shot honey hole is actually in Stock Tank Cove. The Notch is not structure, just a big hole in the eelgrass in Mid-Lake Cove. I think the main lake hump is called the main lake hump.

I can vouch for langlowe9. Once the trolling motor goes down he has a rod in his hand, fishing like a machine. I’ve seen him pause to watch a baldy soar. Once in a blue moon, the bald angler on the back deck will hook into something with heft. Todd will reel in to watch me soar, up to a point. When I start twerking and screaming, “I NEED THIS FISH”, Todd will turn back to the front and cast back out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts