Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I launched at the south shore ramp. Right off the bat in that cove I began landing some fish. The fish were holding tight in pockets near the grass lines. Even though I was graphing some larger fish on my electronics over in this area, I was only able to drag in some one to one and half pound fish. (Dinks)  So I picked up and moved on to continue my search for bigger fish. I tried several other spots that I normally do not fish and the results were the same, dinks. So I headed on over to the discharge. There really wasn’t much of a current over there like there normally is. Hmmmm? Any how, I did manage to pick up several in this area, but unfortunately no big ones. So I checked out a couple of other places with the same results, small fish. I moved back onto the grassy areas and started pitching a top water bait up in the shallow areas, working it ever so slowly. This method was producing a lot of fish along with a few larger fish at that. (3 lb. range)  I was getting bit on my top water bait all through out the day. I got on the water @ 3:00pm and was off @ 7:30pm. (My puppy dog got cold, so I called it the day even though the bite was picking up)  So I fished for 4-½ hours and I caught 23 fish in all. Even though I caught a good number of fish, I am still trying to decipher if I had a good time or not. Those little ol dinks just do nothing for me. Perhaps if I had caught a four to six pound kicker fish with these dinks then my feelings on this would be different. I’m guessing that I caught 2/3’s  of my fish on the top water bait so that was fun. I don’t really consider this to be much of a report, but it is what it is. Some days are just better than others -- what can I say?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Always better than being in the office. As a matter of fact I was sitting in the office when Doug called to see if I wanted to go. Damn J O B.
Glad you caught fish Doug. Looking forward to fishing with you soon.
Jim ;)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Catch all those "dinks" during our monday nite tourney and you'll feel better with a couple hundy in the pocket!!

Out of the office, didn't get pounded by boarders, wind was not a problem, temp was not a problem, there wasn't 200 boats fishing the lake...hmmm...I hate those days... :-/

Z 8)

·
Registered
50 Posts
fishtx, i fished the trop on sunday daylight to dark with the wind howling...kept the fleas and skiers to a tolerable level....found fish all over the lake but had to fish 20ft plus to get some size..heavy c-rigs and really could not work the humps and points well because of the wind....was pleasantly surprised at the number of fish we pick up on yellow magics and asst. chuggers...blue bird skies and north wind....hmmm can't wait to catch an overcast day with mld breeze.....ended with around 50 for the day..best 5...16lbs or so....fun day and the fajitas at jalisco's were freakin awesome!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
My happiness scale from lowest to highest:

1. Getting skunked in inclement weather
2. Getting skunked in nice weather
3. Catching a couple dinks
4. Catching a lot of dinks
5. Catching a mix of dinks and decent sized bass
6. Catching a bunch of decent sized bass
7. Catching some decent sized bass and a few monsters
8. Catching nothing but monsters
9. Catching my personal best

All 9 take precedent over work, school and spending "quality time" with my in-laws.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Busy Timmy said:
My happiness scale from lowest to highest:

1. Getting skunked in inclement weather
That was me on Meadows for the first time in my yak on Sunday 7:30-9:00am. It was super windy, cold and I was taking water over the side of my yak from time to time. It was pushing me so hard my anchor would not even hold. Lovely. To make matters worse, the only bite I got came unbuttoned 3 feet from the yak. Awesome. I was in a bad mood the rest of the day
:mad: I need to catch some fish soon or I'm going to snap :'(

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zdawg said:
Catch all those "dinks" during our monday nite tourney and you'll feel better with a couple hundy in the pocket!!
Dang, I was over on the far west end of the dam when I saw a bunch of bass boats take off from the north ramp like a streak of lighting. That must have been ya’ll huh. Heck if I had known this, then I would have gotten into this little tournament thing. I’m not sure if it would have been legitimate since I had already been on the lake since 3pm?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Doug,
What bait were you using? I'm on vacation all week so I was thinking about doing some bank fishing there before I go to Amistad. Nice report and don't give up on the big fish in Bastrop. ;). Then again I have still not caught a fish over 5-1 there. I know they are there :mad:
deb

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Debbie said:
Doug,
What bait were you using?  Nice report and don't give up on the big fish in Bastrop.  ;). :mad:
deb

Deb you might try top water bait or a senko weight less. To me, this lake would be difficult to fish from the bank due to grass and shallow shore lines. A couple of years ago I was fishing a T on Bastrop and I could not for the life of me get enough dinks to take to weigh in. I hooked a bunch of fish that day, but everything was in the 3 to 4 pound range. It was an awesome day, I caught something like 25 fish, but when I was trying everything in your power to get four dinks in the dang boat, it was impossible. Nice fish all day and that was it. But I did watch a couple of other guys that were hooking up with dinks, so I learned something from this. I just wish I had seen them before the T was almost over.

As far as a big fish out of Bastrop, I've caught my share. There is something about Bastrop that I don’t care to much for and I don’t really know what it is, but I only fish it a couple of times a year just so I can fish something different every now and then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fished last weekend and caught two of the best fish on Bastrop. Top water and reeds are the key. It is truly amazing to see a hawg tackle a top water, and to watch him come thru the reeds before the strike is to die for!

Shallow fishing is just getting better and better this spring!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I know what you’re talking about rvrrat14. I had one that appeared to be around four pounds attack my top water bait from behind on this trip that was kind a cool to see. The truth to be told though; the bait was almost back to the boat to the point where you start reeling it in fast so you can make another cast, right. Well just when I got ready to do this is when I got the strike. I watched that big old mouth come out of the water with the bait in it, I got all excited, set the hook, and I saw the bait shoot out of its mouth as it was headed straight towards me. I tried to hurry up and pitch it back out there hopping it would go for it again, but I ended up hooking another little dink. I knew that bigger fish was still out there, so I pitched it out several more times with no takers. But yes sir, that top water site fishing where you see them coming for it a half second before they hammer it, is awesome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.