Bass Fishing Forum banner

Bastrop 3/20//2021

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Liebersdad 
#1 · (Edited)
Jeremy was at Canyon Lake with his family so I did likewise and took my mother fishing at Lake Bastrop. My youngest daughter, who is 12, came along for the ride and did not fish.

Last night I dug out the back deck high back seat and short seat pole from the garage so she would be comfortable. I do not use butt seats and chide Jeremy when I catch him sitting on the motor when the day gets long. But for my mother a seat is in order and allowed.

We launched at daybreak from the south shore without issues and were the second boat on the water.

Started on the large grass field leading into my favorite cove. I immediately started getting bit on Jackhammer and lipless cranks, alternating back and forth between the two. Meanwhile my mother was throwing a Texas rigged Trick worm but was having no luck. I boated the largest fish of the day, and fat headed skinny body old three pounder on the lipless.

After a while I heard from the back, what ch'a throwing up there? My mother has problems with her shoulders and hands and is limited and what she can cast and the distance she gets. I give her a 1/2oz white spinnerbait to match the Jackhammer I was using. It didn't help.

Working into the shallow cove I started mixing up Baby Brush Hogs and Wacky Senko. Doing well with both. Mom changed over to a Texas rigged Strike King Ocho. Looked like a good setup to me and I would have fished it so on we went. I was boating a nice mix of fun fish with a few cutie-pies thrown it. They all fought well.

We got water checked by a Game Warden, which is my first time on Bastrop. Everything was cool but I got a little stressed when Mom couldn't immediately find her fishing license in her purse. I laughed and said at least I wouldn't have to pay that ticket. GW was cool, thanked us, and went on his way beelining for a kayaker on the other side of the cove.

After a while I decided to move to a different shoreline I had scouted on Thursday during the crazy wind.
First cast after dropping the troller I had a fish on. Went down the entire shoreline and I was having a good run while my mother still had not gotten a single bite. I started to feel bad because every time I lifted a fish into the boat I heard the scoff from the back. I even made her use my Ned rig setup I have just for those really tough days. She gave it 30 minutes and still nothing.

A little after noon I decided to try the main lake point and see if I could get her onto a fish with just fan casting. Pulled up to one of the dozen different waypoint I have in that area and she is back to Texas rigged Trick worm and I am thinking that is a good choice and will get her a bite. I switched over to a Bomb Shot drop shot and again I was catching while not a nibble to the back.

Ended up the day with Todd 24, Mom 0.

She says she had a good time. I guess I am a better fisherman than guide.
I did buy everyone Meyers BBQ in Elgin to try and make up for the skunk.
Love you Mom. "She lurks on this site".

Sky Water Cloud People in nature Human

See less See more
#8 ·
I LOVE you Todd more than fish! I was glad to just get to spend the day with you and Raegan, and watch my boy catch fish. It is like watching an artist paint a picture of grass, trees, mountains, and sky, all-while filling in with finer details as he goes. I told Donald about our adventure and he said something similar had happened when he and his friend, Rusty, fished with Rusty up front and Donald in the back. Although he said it had never been zip for him (so he says). Anyway I got a lot of BBQ for my effort, and I watched a master at work!

Mom
0 / 🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟

p.s. By the way, you are a pretty good storyteller too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.