Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Bastrop Sun morning. Air temp was 40 at 9:00 am. Winds were 15 - 20 mph with the water temp at 62 warming to 64 by afternoon. Fished weed lines with a TR rattlesnake in watermellon/chartruese. We caught close to 30 fish with the largest going 4 lbs. Had a fantastic time on the water, was a little chilly at first, but the fish were biting. On the way home this guy pulls up beside me and says your Right side trailer tire is smoking. Pull over and the wheel is ready to fall off. Go inside to Meyer's BBQ in Elgin to ask if I can park my boat there overnight. Waitress says my husband is a mechanic. We call up Gregg and he comes right out. Hub is gone so we go to Auto parts store and get a new hub kit. Jack up trailer. Nut on spindle wont come off. Further inspection shows chunks missing from spindle. Bad news he says, your gonna need a complete axle :'(. Locked everything up and remove SS prop to be safe and leave boat in the parking lot. Heading back to Elgin this morning to purchase a new axle and replace it. Could have been much worse, At least we didnt have the wheel fly off doing 65 mph.

Jim

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Nice Bastrop report. Real sorry to hear the bad news on your trailer. Glad to hear that wheel didn't come off that could of been bad in a lot of ways. Hope your back on the water soon!

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

Good Bastrop report!

It could have been worse. When hub bearing freeze up, the whole wheel could of come off..This happened to me in Houston one year pulling a boat on highway 290 at 55mph. Slowed down, and the wheel hub froze and the bolt sheared off the wheel passed me on the freeway. No one got hurt, just was a basket case for a while. By myself and 50 miles from any town. Had to leave trailer on freeway shoulder till next morning.

· Registered
32 Posts
It's a small price to pay to the fish god's for letting you catch 30 fish.  

Since you are going to be so close to the lake today, you might as well get back on the water after you replace the axle.  Just a thought.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fester
Thought for a second there you had driven by and took a pic of my boat. I have a blue trailer and that looks just like what happened.

I am back on the road 330.00 later.

Just may have to take schooners advice and hit Decker this evening for an hr.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.