Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between work and family, I had no plans to fish this weekend. I was scheduled to work this morning, but last night my co-worker was asked by the client if I was available to do the work last night. He told the client, “Yeah, that way he can go fishing tomorrow.” I love that guy!

I got home around midnight and made hasty preparations to fish. Morning came early, and I was dragging ass. I got on the road, anxious for being tardy, but grateful for the daylight to see through the foggy morning. I hit the gate at a quarter til eight and had the ramp to myself. The North Shore Park was deserted save for two trailer rigs in the parking lot. Well, there were actually a lot of boats on the lake, the South Park must have been bonkers.

Most of my normal starting spots were covered by anglers. I found some eel grass on a shallow flat and marked some fish. I junk fished with moving baits. After an hour, I got one on a Texas-rigged creature. The lake is different after the winter storm. The collapsed shoreline reeds are brown with an extra foot of water pushed up in them. The hydrilla got flattened. The water temp is 57°F and the power plant eerily quiet. And the fish were not biting.

I went to a couple of spots that are normally automatic, the cove channel and “The Notch.” Nothing, no bites. I pressed forward to the point which had already been worked over by a parade of bass boats and caught three fun fish. That’s more like it. I saw another angler in a 20’ Nitro eyeing the point. I graciously surrendered it to him. He told me it was his first time at Bastrop. I told him the point was loaded with fish and good luck. I pressed on.

I jumped two boats to get to my next spot, the Mid Lake Cove Drop-shot Honey Hole. This is where I was going to salvage the day with some easy bites. Didn’t happen. Crickets. Keep moving on to the Main Lake hydrilla patch. The patch was as flat as a pancake, so I kept going to the Hump. I put the entire anchor line out and still taking rollers over the bow. I dragged a beaver and a rattle trap for a while, but I was starting to understand that there were no fish out deep. I moved back into the cove and caught three out of the eel grass with TR.

The wind was really gusting up to prairie level. I decided to drift back to the point. There were a couple boats there so I tried to sneak thru to The Notch. I heard, “You catch any on drop-shot, Ike?”On one of the boats is a regular who has taken to calling me “Ike” due to my predilection for showing out when I hook into a Bastop slot fish, LOL! He told me he’d caught five in three hours. I told him that I had caught no drop-shot fish from the Honey Hole, but I had seven in the boat from shallow water. We wished each other luck.

I caught two at The Notch, what a grind! I went to the back of the cove, where I had marked fish early in the morning. It is now two o’clock. They got to start biting, right? Well, dear reader, they did. I found a hole in the eelgrass with a drop-off. I was throwing drop-shot into 8 FOW. I was getting bit on almost every cast. From anchor, I caught nineteen. At 3:15 PM, I released a final fun fish, twirled up my rods and headed to the ramp.

No slots or overs, but that’s not why I come here. Beautiful lake with lots of healthy unders. And way better than working!
05337415-972D-4FB6-A71C-3D904CB00F2F.jpeg

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
We went yesterday only because GT is closed.

Fished only four spots and ended up with 27. Buddy caught another 6lber male. All but that one and 3 others were >14". We found 63 temp in the back of a cove but 58 on the main lake.

It was ablowin' in the afternoon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife and I are under contract to purchase a home in Bastrop this month. I’ve never fished the lake but have been wanting to for a while now. Nice to hear there’s a good bite out there. I currently live In Pflugerville and have only fished Travis and GT. GT is hit or miss but I’ve got a few go-to spots on Travis, so Bastrop will hopefully be a welcomed and productive addition!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cory, I am also relocating to Bastrop, maybe once you get it figured out you will share the spots with me, I don't consistently catch what I think I should there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
6 pounds on Bastrop?! dang, that might be a recent lake record! Bastrop has always been a numbers lake for me with MAY BE a 4 once in a while and RARELY a 5...like maybe once every couple of years.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
We think that the 6 was the same 6 caught a few months back but about a hundred yards away. I've caught a 6.8 female a couple of years ago during a night trip. I caught a 7.5 female years ago. They are rare on the 'trop. Plenty of 4 and 5s back in the day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts