Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to North Shore about 8 this morning and headed to the discharge. There was very little activity, I caught 3 before heading back to the ramp for rain gear. Then went to the intake and caught 2 nice 18" fish on a Fluke. The wind and rain kicked up big time and I went back into that small cove on the right side of the intake. I beached the boat in a foot of water with some pine trees blocking most of the rain. While I was waiting for the rain to let up, I picked up a drop shot and pitched it out in about 3.5-4ft of water in the middle of this small creek. Caught a 15" on the first cast, 17" on the third and caught about 8 in the next 20 minutes without ever moving the boat. (I would never have done this had the weather not forced me into that little cove) As the rain let up, I moved farther into the cove and caught 6 more. Then I caught the dumbest bedded bass I have ever seen. Stevie Wonder could have made better pitches to that bed than my first 10. I hit the tree above him 3 times, drug a branch over the top of him and made enough noise to scare the mighty buzzards of Bastrop. And I still got the fish to hit my grub on about cast # 15. (2 Lbs) I ended with 26 fish,,, biggest was about 4.5-5lbs. The wind was really whipping and I called it a day at 12:15.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
IsThatABass said:
The wind and rain kicked up big time and I went back into that small cove on the right side of the intake.
Are you referring to the cove past the "Keep Out, Do Not Enter" buoys?  I've seen people fishing back there from time to time.  Looks really good.  However, I've never been back there.

TDub and I were on the lake and a Game Warden told us they had cameras watching that cove.  And the Power Plant security would call "someone" on any boats getting near the intake.  Maybe it's just a scare tactic on his part.  Hell, we saw boats back there from 9 'til Noon.  Noone ever came out.....

I'm sure the buoys have more to do with the "Post 911" securities than anything else.

Wurm

· Registered
2,405 Posts
You enter the "Keep Out, Do Not Enter" at your own risk.
I don't know the penalty for violating their security but I wouldn't mess around with the Patriot Act.

While it may have something to do with security of the power plant, they did move the buoys back into the cove from where they were right after 9/11. As I recall, they also buoyed off most of the warm water outlet but have since removed those bouys.

The only thing I am concerned about is if your actions penalize the rest of us by going past the clearly marked buoys.

I've seen folks fishing tourneys past those buoys as well. To me, "Keep Out, Do Not Enter" means "Off Limits".

BTW, before the buoys were put up, the right side shoreline was a GREAT crankbait shoreline.

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Go to this site and download the Bastrop Lake Map...It will show you where you can and cannot fish, too...

http://maps.lcra.org/default.aspx?MapType=Parks&page=2

RESTRICTED AREAS
The general manager is authorized to designate certain areas in LCRA water as fishing, swimming, or otherwise restricted areas. Such areas shall be marked by buoys or signs. No person shall engage in any activity that violates a posted prohibition or restriction. This paragraph shall not apply to maintenance, patrol, or rescue watercraft

VIOLATIONS
Any person who, without the prior written permission of the general manager, knowingly or intentionally violates or fails to comply with any provision of these regulations is guilty of a misdemeanor. Upon conviction, the violator is subject to punishment by a fine not to exceed $500. In addition, such violator(s) may be barred from use of LCRA land and facilities for a period of 30 days for the first offense and 60 days for any subsequent offense.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=Hookem link=board=Black_bass;num=1202855412;start=0#4 date=02/13/08 at 09:32:47]
The only thing I am concerned about is if your actions penalize the rest of us by going past the clearly marked buoys.

I am not sure how you will be penalized, but if you are, let me know and I will see what I can do to get the penalty minimized.

I have fished out there many times, and though I could not understand why the buoys were there, I have never crossed them.

With 30 mph gusts and driving rain, I would have paid the $ 500 fine to find some cover. While I was taking cover,,, and for a few minutes after that, I enjoyed some fishing. I am pretty sure that no one cared or someone would have said something.

· Registered
2,405 Posts
ITAB,

I didn't mean to single you out but rather adding a general statement....

All I'm saying is that there could be consequences for all of us if folks continue to fish/boat in the restricted areas.

BTW, there is a more protected cove to the left of the intake. ;D

See ya on the 'trop Sunday! 8)

· Registered
1,183 Posts
What time will ya'll be out there and describe your boats.... I'd like to meet other ABFers out there. I live a couple of minutes from the lake and fish it all the time(at least 3 times a week). I've met Chuck, Fob, EA , Green, Rude and a couple of others already. I'll be in an old blue '77 Ranger fillin up the live well with dinks for a fish fry. Stop by and drink a beer with me...

See ya on the water...

· Registered
3,573 Posts
Zdawg said:
I'll be in an old blue '77 Ranger fillin up the live well with dinks for a fish fry. Stop by and drink a beer with me...
Make sure you allot yourself at least an hour if you choose to drink "a beer" with Z...that guy has a never-ending cooler!

Ricky Ricardo, gotta get back on the water and shoot the bull with ya soon. You boys should schedule a trip to Austin during the spawn...we'll target fat girls in the back of the coves during the day and chase after the skinny ones at Hula Hut in the evening ;D

· Banned
5,438 Posts
That is still the biggest cooler I have ever seen in real life...never knew what 16 cases of beer looked like iced down.... ;D 8)

on Today at 1:18pm, Zdawg wrote:I'll be in an old blue '77 Ranger fillin up the live well with dinks for a fish fry. Stop by and drink a beer with me...

Make sure you allot yourself at least an hour if you choose to drink "a beer" with Z...that guy has a never-ending cooler!

· Registered
1,183 Posts
There he is....Fob my man!!!!!!!!

Your on homeboy!!!! Spawning fatties and Skinny hotties!!!

I knew I could count on you!!! I'll be there, just tell me when and where... I'm itchin to catch some of those good lookin fish yall are yankin up!!! I'll even pick up some of that Taylor sausage and you know "have beer will travel"... Either way make sure you call next time you go to Bstrop. I'd love to hang with you guys again...

8)

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Z,,, I have a 19ft Black and Red Skeeter. I will probably try and make it out there a few times next week if the weather cooperates. Stop by and holler at me if you see me. I went again today for about an hour and a half,,, it was a bit tougher. I only caught 6 fish and the biggest was only about 2lbs.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Zdawg said:
Where do you live to only go out there for an hour and a half???  I live in Pineview Estates 2 minutes from the lake... Every now and then, if I can get off early,  I'll get on the lake by 4:15.
North of Hutto,,, but I really like Bastrop. Today I had a phone interview for an open position in my company at 3:00,,, so I drove to North Shore, launched the boat, fished for 15 minutes and then went to the ramp, got in my truck, interview the guy and then went back on the lake.

Funny thing,,, I brought his resume and phone number on the boat for the 15 minutes of fishing,,, forgot about it and powered up to go to the ramp for the interview and the papers flew out,,, I fished them out with my Fluke and headed back,,, pretty interesting trying to get the pages apart.

· Registered
10,147 Posts
All you need is some rain gear and your should be fine!

Friday Night...Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may be severe with large hail before midnight. Lows 49 to 55. Northeast winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

Saturday...Showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may be severe in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 50s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100 percent.

Saturday Night...Showers and thunderstorms before midnight... Then partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the mid 40s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.