Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold and windy out of the NE in the am. Hot water pipe bite was on with c rig finesse worms and 3/8 watermelon spinner bait. Frog bite picked up in the late morning on the south side. Big fish went 4.75 with a 7lb mouth. Pics will follow when I have enough posts.

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Seems the windier it is on Lake Bastrop, the better the frog bite it along the shoreline....

I am going to contact TPWD about the skinny bass on Bastrop. I too, have been catching some 7lb LMB that only weigh around 4lbs...

I know in the past, that was a lack of food supply, but was seasonal, due to the extreme hotwater.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
16252A2321361B167373440 said:
Seems the windier it is on Lake Bastrop, the better the frog bite it along the shoreline....

I am going to contact TPWD about the skinny bass on Bastrop. I too, have been catching some 7lb LMB that only weigh around 4lbs...

I know in the past, that was a lack of food supply, but was seasonal, due to the extreme hotwater.

Me thinks most skinnys have a chunk o' plastic stuck inside. We've seen it back in the day when you could keep and fillet anything from the 'trop.

· Registered
10 Posts
I caught one at Fayette not too long ago, 7lb head with a 2lb body. Thought it was a grandpa on his last leg until I went to remove the hook and found a 7 in senko in his gullet. It was all torn up and looked like it'd been in there for a long time.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
I read a article in Bass,a few yrs ago on grass if it takes over 25-30% of the water there is too much cover for the bait to hide in= skinny fish. It is like deer hunting in a heavey ceader brake, can't see them ,can,t shoot them!! ;)

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Email message from TPWD..

Sent: Fri 12/10/2010 6:41 PM
To: Robert Hocher
Subject: RE: Lake Bastrop

There are always some skinny fish on slot lakes. My theory is they are old males with bad eye sight and have a hard time foraging. We always look at average body condition by inch group, which at Bastrop has either been average or above average.

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.