Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received some Christmas cash before the holiday and ordered up a Amazon cheapo offshore starter for the tow rig. The starter wasn’t to be delivered until the New Year. With Todd being out of pocket, my weekend fishing options were not very promising. I was at work yesterday when I got the news. I was overjoyed to hear that the starter was on my doorstep.

I rushed home, crawled under the truck and started wrenching. Fortunately, this F-150 came equipped with the exclusive Ford under carriage external lubrication system (UCELS) that prevents rusted fasteners by leaking every possible automotive fluid into a grimy thick protective coating that eases the maintenance. Ten minutes later the truck is firing right up and I start loading charged boat batteries and trolling motors into the truck bed.

Further preparations involved spooling line on to my other Christmas present, a right hand Shimano SLX DC 150XG. I mounted the chipped reel on a brand new All*Star 7’ MF and tied on a feather light Yozuri jerk bait. I checked the weather and the ABF reports. I decided the SW wind and lock-jawed Decker bass indicated a trip to Bastrop.

I drove 50mph down bucolic 95, avoiding the SH130 death race. Cotton gleamed white as snow through the Blackland Prairie until I turned on 1441 and cruised between the towering loblollies of the Lost Pines. I pulled into a deserted North Shore Park at 6:30AM. I readied the Pond Prowler, put on some warm clothes and shoved off. This lake is sublimely beautiful. I had to pause and snap a pic. It took an hour to get bit, finally boating a fish with the new “smart” reel, yea buddy! I made my normal loop and wound up on the mainlake hump. On my way there a friendly boater asked me how I was doing and wished me a Happy New Year. I zig-zag graphed the hump and located some hydrilla and set the anchor. I cast out the jika rig and sighed. What a beautiful day!

My serenity was shattered by a large CC coming out of the sun on a collision course. Yup, it was GW, so I reeled in the lure. I was pulling up the anchor when GW began the interrogation. I interrupted him to explain that I was pulling the anchor because the last time he checked me his partner’s rough handling of the anchored 10’ Prowler caused me to fall in the boat. He said it wasn’t him, whatever. I understand he’s doing his job, but I’m still annoyed like hell to come off my spot. I dutifully and politely showed him my PFD and fishing license.

He chased off to his next subject (the friendly boater who proceeded to chat up GW for at least a half an hour, LOL) and I was left to try and re-establish my boat on the hump. I gave up and went to the dam pocket. I grinded along the dam, jerking and worming but could not get another bite. The wind gusted up and I let it blow me to the ramp. I caught one on jerk bait, one on TR straight-tail, two on WW senko and seven on JR beaver so it was worth the trip. Water temp 62.5°F near the dam. Lots of eelgrass and hydrilla. Off at noon.
Water Sky Natural landscape Afterglow Lake
Fish Fish products Ray-finned fish Tail Fisherman
Water Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Smile

· Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DC reel is different, for sure.

In the past, I used a Shimano Citica with 10# flouro to cast the little yozuri jerk bait. In calm conditions, I could cast it maybe 20 yards. With the DC reel and 12# flouro, I was easily doubling that distance, no thumb required. My thumb is there, of course, but after getting used to casting the DC, I would hear the whine of the DC’s brake and trust it to not overrun. Crazy, huh?

Newspaper Publication Font News Material property

· Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can neither confirm nor deny that plants are running, lest we wind up like North Carolina all in the dark because of neo-Nazis with high power rifles shooting up the electrical infrastucture. However, the tyrannical quasi-governmental utility that operates Lost Pines Power Project has to get in the black one way or the other and the $5 ramp fee I paid isn’t going fill the coffers, so raising the applied voltage against a fixed resistance means greater power consumption and an exorbitant electrical bill…

For real though, I could hear the hum of machinery coming from the general direction of the Sim Gideon generating station. Rate payers beware.

The Helix 5 displayed surface temps ranging from 61 at the ramp to 60 back of a cove and 62 near the dam.

· Registered
235 Posts
that shot of you in the pic is taken on what my fishing buddy called "amen corner" no golf reference, but when you're having a tough day there's ALWAYS a fish in that channel on the edge of the grass....can i get an "amen"? lol

· Registered
2,403 Posts
I've been out of town for almost two weeks being in Louisiana visiting the wife's kids and their families. Got a new great-grand daughter due in May, Marley Vaughan. Named for Bob and Stevie. Weather was just as cold there as here so no fishing.

Anyways, buddy and I hit the 'trop yesterday. Only two other boats all day, no yaks. Had a hard time finding bites on the main lake so we headed to Decapitation Cove (Cedar Cove) and we caught 23 up to 3#. A few on spinnerbaits and the rest of softs. Stayed there all day. Water temps were 62-63 and very windy. Grass has bloomed since last time there and damn near impossible to fish some areas which is fine by me. Lots of grass is good.

· Registered
14 Posts
I've been out of town for almost two weeks being in Louisiana visiting the wife's kids and their families. Got a new great-grand daughter due in May, Marley Vaughan. Named for Bob and Stevie. Weather was just as cold there as here so no fishing.

Anyways, buddy and I hit the 'trop yesterday. Only two other boats all day, no yaks. Had a hard time finding bites on the main lake so we headed to Decapitation Cove (Cedar Cove) and we caught 23 up to 3#. A few on spinnerbaits and the rest of softs. Stayed there all day. Water temps were 62-63 and very windy. Grass has bloomed since last time there and damn near impossible to fish some areas which is fine by me. Lots of grass is good.
What part of lake is cedar cove

· Registered
235 Posts

congrats on the great grand!
was the heavy grass on the east side of the cove past the first set of trees?
i like fishing the holes in the ell grass on the SW bank.

· Registered
235 Posts
Yep, out to 12ft. But it starts before the cedar line.
That's what I figured. There used to be a submerged concrete culvert in the back of that cove, but it's been long covered by grass. It was in about 6 FOW and was a terrific place to make a few catches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts