Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the eve of the winter solstice, I decided on Bastrop. Less than an hour drive. Five dollar entry. Power plant warmth. Eagles on the wing. I launched at 7:30 A.M.

As I transited the ramp channel, I worried briefly about needing my stern lantern in the fog, but the vis stayed good. I cranked and wormed for two hours without a bite. I tried drop-shot, but I still haven’t figured out how to aim the spinning rod. Spray and pray so they say. My lure landed in the thick grass. I tried to pop it free and broke at my leader knot.

I panicked briefly, because the drop-shot is instrumental for me at this lake. I don’t carry any line with me. Well let’s see what I do have. Improvising, I cut fifteen feet of 12# flouro off my light TR rig. I field tied an FG knot, on the first try no less! Back in business.

A boater came by and suggested I try a rattle trap. He posted up down the shore and promptly caught two on Rat-L-Trap. I tied on a red ‘Trap and started ripping grass, but no bites. I headed for the main lake Hydrilla patch.

First cast with my new leader and BAM, fish on! I stayed on station, anchored on the outside edge and fished drop-shot for effect. I was throwing at a drop off into around 20 FOW. I caught nine fish. Off at 1:30 P.M.
C66B0D78-7F02-45D3-B7BC-175F74567E85.jpeg

·
Registered
443 Posts
Great report Jeremy as well as knot tying skills. And I am in the same position you are when it comes to casting a drop shot (or much of anything else) with a spinning rod. The process eludes me.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are pay stations at both parks. The North park LCD screen is hard to read. Just keep pushing “D”.
B1883491-81E7-4627-8396-167778C9C428.jpeg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Good report. I sometimes wonder why I throw anything besides a drop shot. Also, I have been thinking about carrying spare leader but have not figured out a clever way to not bring the whole spool.

JT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts