Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my Fishing Log my first time on Bastrop was 5/30/15. Had a great day throwing a Ned and fished with my son. Second time on Bastrop was 5/27/21 and didn't have a great day..catching 10, all but one on a 2.8 Keitech. Third time was today. Inspired by the Jeremy and Todd report. I was intimidated by the abundance of hydrilla. I don't have any spots or areas on this lake. As y'all know I'm a bank beater most of the time so I had a difficult time finding areas where I could actually get to the bank. Tried 2.8 and 3.3 swimbaits, senko, Fluke Jr., and Magic Minnow. I've renamed the 3" minnow I pour since in four trips I've caught 83 bass on it. Kept rotating and finally caught one on the Magic Minnow. Still kept rotating but caught another on it. After lunch (hot Vegetable Beef soup) tried different areas and I found an area where I caught my last 10 fish. I now have one area on Bastrop. I caught all these fish on my 3" minnow. I talked to one other fisherman when I had two fish...he had one and said it was tough for him. So clicked 12 for the day. Not many boats. Water was 76º-78º where I fished. Saw an eagle chasing an osprey and then another eagle swooped down on the chasing eagle. Cool to see.
Cloud Sky Travel Electric blue Fish

Cloud Vertebrate Sky Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
200 Posts
My first thought was "first fished bastrop in 2015? why?" it's the lake a grew up fishing, literally. was there almost every weekend! I remember camping at south shore and hearing the huge WHOOOOSSSHHHHH! of the power plant really loudly in the night. They've made lots of modifications and I don't recall hearing that noise on any of my trips lately.
The fish don't migrate much on Bastrop so if you find a spot that produces its probably going to be good whenever you go except you may have to move a little further from shore or a little closer
The vegetation can get pretty difficult at times, so much so that a few years I ago I quit fishing it because there was nothing BUT hydrilla mats except in the middle of the lake. That was about 2003 and then again in 2014 I think.
I've found over the years that there are a couple of colors that work pretty much year round on Bastrop, but the fish get finicky on presentation, size and shape on soft baits. Water depth is usually the key, there.
Throwing cranks, frogs, poppers or other types of baits is when the time of year and water temp come into play. I'm most disappointed in the TPWD mismanagement (imo) of the lake so that now, while the bass are plentiful and pretty easy to catch, if you get a HUGE fish on Bastrop it's likely 4.5#. I blame the 12-14 +21 slot that was on the lake for so long. No one could legally take a fish. Every tournament on the lake had to be a paper tourney or no one would have anything to turn in.
Have fun learning it because as you learned there is lots to see even if you're not having a great day fishing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasn't living here in 2015. I lived in Austin during my time at UT but left in 1974. I was fishing then but only went to Travis because of friends there. I was visiting my son in 2015 and we planned the trip to Bastrop. I moved to Georgetown in 2017. I spend most of my days on Georgetown, Belton, and Stillhouse. Stillhouse used to be my favorite springtime lake but not since it's so low. Belton has been so good to me that I probably won't make the drive to Bastrop that often. Thanks for the interesting info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts