Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s great to read all the reports that have been posted lately. Y’all’s reports definitely influence my fishing. I felt like my mojo was starting to slip away a bit and I need y’all to help keep it up there. Last night I cut off everything and started over. Between the chatterbait discussion and Longhorn’s reports, I developed a new game plan.

I launched third from the North Shore at 6:30am. I trolled across and started working the shoreline with a t-rig. Dawn was breaking and the bite began in earnest. I dropped the anchor in 4 FOW. I cast the vibrating jig up near the reeds and brought it back to the eel-grass. I caught one, then another, then another, all cookie-cutter unders. I was stoked. When the fish sounded twenty minutes later, I’d put eight in the boat, all from anchor. Hell to the yeah!

I drifted across a shallow flat, but I was unable to get any more bites on the vibrating jig. The wind blew me into the shoreline I’ve named The Notch. I cast out 3.0 paddletail. Halfway back it got smoked by a Bastrop fun-fish. A couple minutes later I caught a cutie-pie on the swimbait. I dropped anchor at the point and I saw an angler in a bass boat reel in a fun-fish. I got bit on drop-shot, but I broke off in the hydrilla. I pressed on to Stock Tank Cove.

I anchored and tried drop-shot again, but I knew I should stick to the paddletail. I pulled the anchor and drifted the shoreline, casting the swimbait to the reeds. I caught a fun-fish and set the anchor. I cast back up and caught another one. Then I got interrupted by GW.

This is the second time in less than a week that I’ve been pulled over. Last week it was a couple grizzled TPWD vets. Today it was three fresh face kids straight from the academy. I was already tucking all my rods inside the gunnels, when the captain announced, “Game Warden! We are doing a safety check.”

I was reaching for my PFD when one of the Game Wardens grabbed my boat to pull it alongside. He didn’t know I was anchored, so when he pulled the starboard side, the anchor pulled the port, rapidly spinning the boat out from under me. I collapsed in the boat. So much for safety. I offered to weigh anchor, but the GW captain said not to. The captain then asked the rookies to be more careful with small boats. He expertly maneuvered to raft up. His eagle eye spotted my expired tags, but I assured him that the new stickers were in the mail and offered to show him the receipt. They checked my fishing license, and as I did last Sunday, I asked how many year-to-date fishing licenses have they seen that were bought on September 1st! The wardens were very polite and I was back fishing in no time. Like I said last week, its great to see these guys back on the water.

I stayed for another hour but I did not catch anymore fish. All lakes are beautiful, but Bastrop has a very special kind of natural beauty. Today I saw otters frolicking all the way across one of the major coves. A hawk conducted a fly over and returned to his perch on a tall dead tree spire. Not many boats out, but every kind of watercraft was represented. Off at 1pm.
Fish Tail Ray-finned fish Fin Bony-fish
Sky Smile Water Fisherman Fish
Automotive tire Wood Plant Bicycle handlebar Hand tool

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great report. Great to see your rigs. I will have to give the vibrating jigs another shot. My swim baits may not dark enough. Pretty sure I saw an osprey this morning on LBL.

JT

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info and especially the pics of your baits. Always like seeing tpwd, but the newer guys/gals always seem a bit too gung-ho.
quick story - several years ago on travis i was dead in the water around windy point. was in a run about, not fishing so no troller or any kind of power at all. of course the wind blew me directly into the swimming area and someone called the law. here comes a young barney fife from jonestown pd with either an observer or a trainee, but she was female. this guy is yelling at me from the jump to get my boat out of the swimming area and wouldn't listen to anything i was trying to tell him. he didnt even request to come aboard he just began boarding. i immediately stopped him and let him know he wasnt boarding without permission and that he needed to stop showing off for his trainee. this pissed him off, but he knew i was in the right. he asked and i allowed him on board. of course the obligatory "how much have you had to drink" question was asked and the answer was "if you mean dr pepper about three. if you mean alcohol, none" he searched the entire boat for ANYTHING he could find to write me up. about this time an experienced tpwd guy idles up and takes control of the situation calming both me and the jonestown pd guy down because it was about to get nasty. th i can tell the tpwd guy is frustrated with how the jonestown kid handled it. he asked where my trailer is and could i get it to windy point launch (that is just for sailboats, but it is the quickest closest ramp). i call my wife who gets my truck and brings it to the ramp. he tows me to the sailboat ramp at windy point and i'm off the water without a ticket or anything.
Boat Sky Watercraft Water Vehicle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts