Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Bastrop Saturday 7:30 - 1:30. Blue bird skies, calm to light breeze.

Found some spots with bait and sporadic, small schooling activity around the bait. Caught 20 fish, lost a few including the big fish for the day. Never saw it but felt good, hook just came loose. All fish caught with flukes and jerk baits. Glad I change my hooks out on my hard baits. I caught several fish that had only intended on slapping at the bait but got a face full of sharp hooks for their troubles.

All fish were unders - 3lbs. Nothing worthy of pics and was alone anyways. Could have caught more but kept going back to larger sized baits to up size the fish I was catching but that didn't work. Certainly a fun day. Great weather out there, can't beat Fall in Central Texas.

Went out again Sunday for a few hours. Same/similiar results.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was out there Sunday, it was a little breazy by the afternoon. I'm just not catching the numbers that most of you report. I was thinking that 3-4 was decent, 20 would be killer! Didn't try jerk baits, I will next time. What would be the ideal conditions to throw a jerk bait?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We were at Bastrop Sunday til 12pm and caught 25 fish, most were dinks as previously reported by others, but it was a blast putting that number of fish in the boat as its been a long hard summer otherwise. Used texas rigged curly tailed worms and finese jigs. :)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
22373B37312220282631430 said:
I was out there Sunday, it was a little breazy by the afternoon. I'm just not catching the numbers that most of you report. I was thinking that 3-4 was decent, 20 would be killer! Didn't try jerk baits, I will next time. What would be the ideal conditions to throw a jerk bait?
Ideal conditions? They work a lot of the time. I was using them on the outside edges especially during periods of activity. I would also use them as a search bait. Using baits that are similar in size and color to local forage.

53537E51534E4253404755210 said:
Hey Patrick.  I fished sat. as well.  jerk baits are gonna be tough to keep out of the grass @ the strop.  i would concentrate on throwing the fluke.  Me and my dad caught about 20 + fish shallow.  Also consider the frog!  Brian ;)
You are correct Brian, you can't throw them into the grass. They do however work on the edges. Always a good idea to have an open mind to alternative baits when the bite dies. People don't hesitate to throw rattle traps on grass edges in such lakes which is another good alternative. Neil

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
On Monday, they were still busting but in an area not normal for schoolers. Can't tell y'all where just yet  ;) as the last 4 trips brought us 69, 62, 58 and 38 yesterday. And as you can tell by the numbers that the shad balls are getting smaller and smaller.

The 38 yesterday included a couple of 5s and 4s. We were the only boat in the area on Monday. All shallow(1-2ft) near channels on Castmasters.
Yes, castmasters.

One hint is that it is not main lake nor the outlet.

At least we have caught numbers the last few times. It'll help me as I'll be out of action the next month or two recouping from shoulder surgery. Back in action just in time for spawn on the 'trop.

The resident bald eagle was flying around yesterday.  :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.