Bass Fishing Forum banner

Bastrop 02-09-08

564 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  fishytx 
#1 ·
Me and my wife got to the hotwater outlet at 5:45 in the morning and waited. Bass started schooling but not as good as its been. The fluke bite slowed way down it looked like everyone in the area was throwing one. Only managed 15 fish largest was a little under 5lbs. Left the discharge around 9am and every corner I turned was loaded with boats, the most I've ever seen on this lake. I decidded to fish one more cove and within 20minutes of being in the cove there was 21 boats in it with me!! Way to crowded for me. Towed a guy back to North shore that had threw his tm prop and couldn't start the big motor. Got him back to the dock where his buddy was waiting with the new tm prop and his buddy jumped in and fired it right up? oh well glad to help someone out anyways hopefully I'll never need the favor returned . Might get out to travis tomorrow morning. Godd luck everybody.

#3 ·
i was to the lake too got there at 7:00 was :eek: at how many boats was there fished till 2:00 caught 25 bass bigest was close to 4 pounds never made it to the hotwater outlet

#4 ·
Calvin and I went to Bastrop yesterday morning from 6:30AM till around 1:30 and caught 9 fish, the largest being 17 1/2 inches. The bite was really slow at the discharge early (not much current). We caught our fish on firetiger rattlin rapala, firetiger rattletrap, and watermelon candy 6" lizards, texas rigged. Good bites and fish in the middle of the dam in front of the electric tower. Weather was good except for the strong wind.
Lost a couple of bigger fish right at the boat before we could get the net under them. Good day of fishing though and beats working on Friday.

#7 ·
I bet there will be fewer boats tomorrow. Our club (Shenandoah Christian) had a paper tournament with about 15 boats but there were even more people out there. I bet the North ramp had 30-40 trailers. Last Saturday there was only 10 or so. The winning team had around 31 pounds (10 fish on paper). My partner and I had ~27 lbs. Our real weights were probably 10% less.

We went to the discharge first thing. There were11 boats, 3 were from our club. It was crowded. We didn't stay long.

Blueskeeter, we were just across the discharge from you in the white and green skeeter; older guy in coveralls driving and I was in the back in light blue shirt and an Aggie cap. You did well.

We caught a couple in the discharge. The rest we caught on c-rig watermelon red brushhog in 2-10 ft near grass. Other guys in our club caught them on pumpkin seed worms and rattletraps. The bite really died around 12:30. We caught about 25 fish from 1 lb to 5 lbs.

Good luck.

#8 ·
We got to Batrop and on the water at 6:45...went to the discharge but saw at least nine boats in there and didn't see much schooling so we quickly left.

Tried several places but ended up catching all our fish in South Point Cove fishing the grass. Early on they were slamming a white spinnerbait while it was still cloudy. Once the sun broke through the clouds more we were catching them on watermelon/black flake Kut Tails.

Ended up with ~20 fish with the biggest being 19.25" and the smallest being 4".....

#9 ·
You did better than us I gave up quick when I got out of the discharge and seen all the boats those fish had to have seen everything in the tackle box by 10am. Thats it for me no more Bastrop or Fayette for a while time for Travis, Lbj and a little creek fishing on the Yegua for the next month or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.