Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been getting around this week, and hit up Bastrop and the fishing wasn't what we expected. I met up with Ranger521 (Bill) at 6:45 and hit up the discharge, and it wasn't what we where expecting. Did manage to hook a 20 1/4 in largemouth that was so unhealthy I didn't even take a pic, and had been caught 3 times before, and the jaw was all torn up, she was in really bad shape.

Caught most fish on a Fluke. Nothing really spectacular to talk about, tough day, windy too, tried a lot of stuff. Did manage to break off what woulda been a new PB. :-?

Hit up LT today with Bass and Tx, (Randy) and it was also a tough day on the water, they said it was gonna get warmer and it got cooler by a few degrees. Numb fingers this morning.

It was windy and the fish just weren't biting as well as we would have liked.
most fish where caught on dropshot, or shaky head, no bass on the crank today, but Randy caught some on a Lipless crank.

We had under 10 bass in the boat, and it was SLOOOOW. Fished from 7:30 till 3 and didn't catch any bass worth taking pictures. But did manage this 26lb Yellow Cat. And it's the biggest cat on artificial ever. Landed her with 12lb Stren High Impact.  

LOL> I thought I was caught on a rock.

I just wanna say thanks to Ranger521(Bill) and Bass N Tx(Randy) for taking me fishing with you guys, I really enjoyed myself, and learned some stuff. Hope to see yall soon.  

Thanks a ton guys.

~David~

G

·
WoW!!!!! :eek:

That's an HUGE fish!!!! I can't imagine how much fun that was! Thanks for sharing....

You could have a big fish fry with that baby!!!

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took a couple minutes, he came to the boat just fine, he just didn't want to come up, to the boat.

I wanted to take that pic with the ABF shirt on, but it was waay too cold this morning to shed layers, But I was wearing the Grey shirt.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Awsome cat. That's one big fish. Congrats and thanks for the reports.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey you guys. This fish is a new Record!

7.20lbs  25.50inches  Catfish, Flathead  4/20/97  Lance McMullan  Trotline.

Is the record right now, mine was 37inches, and 26lbs.

Called Texas parks and wildlife and they are sending me a form in the mail.  :D

· Registered
10,147 Posts
David,
I would not be bummed out! In fact, you caught it using artificials!

HERE ARE THE FACTS..YOU WERE,

NOT TROLLING
NOT USING LIVE BAIT
NOT FISHING NEAR SHADES OR THE PIER, USING FRENCH FRIES
NOT USING A JUG LINE
NOT USING A TROTLINE
NOT USING STORE BOUGHT SHRIMP or DOUGH BAIT
NOT USING GULP SHRIMP OFF THE BOTTOM...

So that was one heck of a fish to start the new year. Congrats!

Robert

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Trout, Rainbow 2.21 19.50 Apr 15, 2007 Matt Hill  Lucky Craft Crankbait  

Did you guys catch the last line. What is a Rainbow Trout doing in LT? Do you think he just caught one of Alan's swimbaits? :D ;D ;)

· Registered
712 Posts
Man what a cat! Did you clip the gills on it? ( I noticed the blood) We've been catching a bunch of big blues lately and have started clipping the gills and throwing them back in the live well before we filet them. They bleed out and the filets are completely white and seem much smoother in flavor....besides they don't beat you up so bad when you try to filet em. ;) Any how what a catch congrats

· Registered
96 Posts
1323282F2F2E2532400 said:
 Nice pic of the blood gushing down the side and on to the pants.  Did you shoot that thing when you got it to the boat.  
Of course he shot that thing! :eek: Everyone shoots large catfish when they get em to the boat...better safe than sorry :-*. It swam off just fine from what I hear.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And I didn't have my knife, or my skin peeling pliers with me, and nothing to put the whole fish on in my jeep. Either that, or I would have to hold the fish outside the jeep until I get to the pace bend corner store and buy two cheap coolers and break them in half just to lay the fish in the jeep, and then drive 45mins home to where my stuff was. I didn't like the idea of a wet fish drying up inside my car, and I didn't have my huge cooler that I woulda had with my boat.

And my hands were numb as heck that day, and the wind was giving me chills all day, and I just didn't wanna mess with it.

But dang I'm still kicking myself for that one. I really did wanna keep it. I really did.

I would laugh if I saw somebody driving with a big cat hanging outside the window. And I'm glad I didn't do that. I've still got slime on my work shoes from boating that fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.