Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took Ron to Bastrop yesterday - his first time on the lake. Started out in the discharge area and boated well over 40. All of the bigger fish were on carolina centipedes and lizards. Overall fish size was disappointing.

Then we moved to the main lake and tried the shallows. We picked up 3 more to 20" on super flukes. Early afternoon we tried deep, 17' to 21' and killed them. We picked up about 40 more on carolina and DS rigs with 5 fish 20 to 21", many 18 - 19" and very few under 16". Using the table, best 5 went 24lbs. 12 oz. At 3:00 the wind quit and so did the bite. Then the wind shifted to the north with the cold front and we called it a day. Ron earned BF honors but I landed a huge perch on a CR lizard. Total catch was well over 80. Awesome day on the Trop.

Ray

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you can bag that many fish w/a first timer,You should be fishing the masters series ??? :-/ ;)
I go to that lake all the time.I talk to people out there and its always the same ( We caught a few,We did OK)never have I seen Nor heard any body(There)say I caught 50, 60, 70,and now well over 80?????????? Are you a pro or what? Are you throwing a bait net?come on !
Enjoy the rest of your week end(Dreams)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I was out there yesterday and confirm that the fish were stacked up and biting great in a couple places. Caught a load on a mid lake hump (with a CR and DS), and actually waved another boat over to share them. I left after a while to try some other things but a couple boats hung out there all day until the front hit. At 3:30 (the front hit at 3:35) I stopped and chatted with the guys I had waved over in the morning. They estimated they caught about 80 between the two of them. Nice guys and I'm glad they had a great day.

I'm about as far from a pro as you can be, but even I was able to catch em like crazy yesterday.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
stbohmer, Bastrop is known for bags of 40 fish / day.

I have a couple friends at work that boat  well over 30 each trip.

When the summer time hits and the bass begin to school, some catch up to 100 fish / day.

Then there's days where the Trop just plain sucks  :D.

So, it is possible.

kp

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Ranger521, I'm the guy you waved over to share your spot. I want to thank you for your hospitality!!!

Stbohmer - Rather than implying that my report was made up, you might want to focus your replies on this board on how to go about having a great day on the lake. Many fishermen who do really well on a lake may be reluctant to share their secrets with a stranger. Ask a few more questions when they say they did OK. Tell them you need a few pointers. I go out of my way to help other fishermen when asked. I have fished Bastrop for almost 20 years and have it pretty well figured out most of the time. By the way, this forum in the tips and techniques section is a great place to ask for advice. By the way, I don't use live bait. You have a great weekend also.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
One evening last Fall, I caught over 35 bass over 4lbs. All on topwater.

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME REPORT.

Ranger521 or Bill is a great person as well as a fisherman. What fisherman would invite a stranger over to share in the fun of catch bass! :eek:

Keep up the great reports!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Awsome day guys. :eek: Ranger mighty Nice of you to share your spot. ;) Also OT dont let the neg guy bug you some people are just jealous when someone has a great day on the water instead of being happy for them it is much easier to try and discredit them. :mad:
Again Way to go. ;)
Jim ;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Caught a load on a mid lake hump (with a CR and DS), and actually waved another boat over to share them.
That is pretty cool. I have been on those rock transition areas on the main lake hump when they are on and there are plenty of fish for everybody.

In fact this can happen multiple times in one day when they are "on" at Bastrop:

·
Registered
40 Posts
[quote author=OT_Ray link=board=Black_bass;num=1206817604;start=0#7 date=03/29/08 at 22:09:15]Hey Ranger521, I'm the guy you waved over to share your spot. I want to thank you for your hospitality!!!

Rather than implying that my report was made

I'm not implying It was made up, justed stretched a bit!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In the discharge area, I got half of my fish on small sluggo's and half on carolina centipedes and lizards. Colors were shades of watermelon on CR and shad colors for the sluggo's on top.

Ray

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dont have a problem w/ saying you caught 30 to 45,
or even 60 in the schools, But 80+ ? And if you did, great job, wish I could have been there! Just seems a little far fetched.
Theres nothing wrong with speeking your mind. Right?

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
StB, Have you ever witnessed the Bastrop Schoolies before? Once you see that in action you will not doubt anymore. I have personally never had that great of a day out there but I have seen em in action and if you can figure out what those schoolies will bite, you could probably top 100 a day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the man says he caught 80, then he caught 80, you do not question a mans integrity, especially if you do not personally know him. Not where I am from........

I have gutted them on Bastrop as well, it is not a big step for a stepper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.