Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a member/fan of Bassmasters series as long as I can remember and never I have i seen the competition so close. Unlike NASCAR where the top teams are nearly always in the top 10 or so--Prime example is the top 5 in AOY points last year are not even close to the top this year (and I don''t expect them to be). Has anyone else noticed this trend??

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
While the competition for sponsorship money is fierce in both series, I think Chevrolet's deep pockets are going to ensure that Jimmie Johnson stays near the top.

Add to that the fact that there are only about two dozen teams at the Cup level. Compared to over a hundred pro anglers who compete in Bassmasters, the top ten in Cup racing comes from a much smaller field.

The anglers that don't have sponsorship money have got to make the AOY on sheer force of will and some good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not actually comparing the Elite Series to Nascar just used them as an example of top teams nearly always in the top 10. Whereas, in the Elite series you cannot predict a win or even a top 10 from week to week. Yesterdays winner being a perfect example. Who on earth would have predicted (Not a family or friend hopeful guess) that Connel, a College Team Rookie would win in only his 4th Elite series tourney!! Last years AOY top 2 are 40th and 26th respectively. Last year Mark Davis finished 67th and sits in the number 8 spot today. It is up and down from week to week year to year.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The unpredictableness of professional bass fishing might be due to the integrity of the promoters, sponsors and competitors. Significant arguments can be made that other "professional" sports are predictable because the outcome is known before the event begins. NASCAR is rife with cheaters (again, submit Jimmie Johnson as an example). NFL officiating is horrendous. Professional wrestling may be the only unpredictable professional sport left out there.

I think Mark Davis is one of the most talented anglers in the field. The last couple years, he's been suffering the effects of skin cancer on his face. His surgery has healed and he can now compete at the high level of which he is capable. Add to that that he is sponsored by Strike King and his resurgance in AOY points is explainable.

I'll drink some of the Strike King Kool-aid any day. They have Hackney, KVD and Davis in the top ten. They have Mark Rose in FLW. Strike King recognized the talent and they put their money (and predictions) on the right horses.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm partial to Alton Jones Sr., but mostly because he gave me a great deal on his 2016 Series boat... haha

·
Registered
762 Posts
I was not actually comparing the Elite Series to Nascar just used them as an example of top teams nearly always in the top 10. Whereas, in the Elite series you cannot predict a win or even a top 10 from week to week. Yesterdays winner being a perfect example. Who on earth would have predicted (Not a family or friend hopeful guess) that Connel, a College Team Rookie would win in only his 4th Elite series tourney!! Last years AOY top 2 are 40th and 26th respectively. Last year Mark Davis finished 67th and sits in the number 8 spot today. It is up and down from week to week year to year.
There is a large component of luck involved in fishing. Much larger than in most other sports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts