Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to the coast this weekend. Dianna's birthday was 9/23, so this was her annual birthday trip.  Stopped Fri morning at Choke Canyon on the way down. Wanted to see the lake and wet a line real quick. We ended up fishing for 2 hrs. All together we caught 10 fish. I caught 4 with the largest going around 3 lbs. But the real highlight of the trip was Dianna's 17 yr old daughter, Holly catching the largest and her PB Bass :eek: It was right around 5 lbs. There really is nothing better than seeing a young fisherman catching a big fish ;). To top it off I caught my 3 lb bass at the same time. We were fishing a grass flat w/ TR watermellon/red grandebass rattlesnakes.

We left them biting and decided it was time to get on down to Corpus. We got checked into our hotel, which was right on the beach. Went to blackbeards for dinner ( which was awsome). Hit the sack early to get started early Sat morning. Went to S. Padre Island. Fished a jetty. Nobody was catching anything but rocks. Including myself :'( I had just tightened my drag all the way where I could break off my rigging. Forgot to readjust. Big Mistake. Got a light bite and set the hook. Fish was obviously swimming toward me. Felt light. Then she turned and bent the pole in half anf the line snapped :'( I never saw it.
That was the biggest excitement as far as fishing went.
The bite was not there this weekend. Nobody was catching any fish.
We did have a great time and I look forward to going again.

Jim ;D

·
Registered
998 Posts
Jim, great job putting the young lady on a nice fish. Sounds like it was a good idea to stop off at choke on the way; we'll have to try that next time we head to the beach. Great pics and report.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nicely done. I was on choke with my dad Saturday. We fished all day and didn't really land too many more than you did in your short trip! Got into a decent rattletrap bite ripping through grass shallow (3-4ft) and sporadic worm bite (one five pounder on a TR honcho). That lake is fun though, so many spots to try and incredible wildlife scenery. Worth the drive without question...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got that right Doug. She will be talking about that fish for awhile. :D

Justin- I didnt fish a CB there at all. The flat I located was real weedy. So we only threw plastics. ;)

Thanks Trey, it was a good bank spot for sure. Got lucky :p

They do have some nice cabins on the lake, we are hoping to make a weekend of it in november.

Jim ;D

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey Jim,
Thanks for sharing... Nice bass that young lady caught!!! I really need to get down there. Hope you can make it back down there in November. Sounds like a good stopping point when I head down to George West this november. Hey Mabey I'll See Ya There.
Debbie V

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Nice job Jim! There's nothing like putting the youngsters on some good fish. That's a great catch, especially from the bank. Choke is an awesome lake!

John

·
Registered
321 Posts
good lookin bass!! the water by the jetties hasnt been to good lately, but i heard they have been gettin some small strawberry grouper off the end and some bull reds but on the bayside.. shoulda looked me up i wouldve taken u out !

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
406F756E2B486F686C67060 said:
Great story.  Sounds like a fun trip all around.  I had to read the post because of the title.  I was just SURE it was going to be something low down and just plain dirty!   Dang it.....
:p
That story was Sat nite on the beach. Was extremely dark and the waves were crashing on the beach.......Wait a minute...I cant tell that story :-*

We did have a great time Derek. Hope to catch up with you next time your in austin. ;)

Didnt even have to coax Holly to kiss that Bass Charlie. She is sure that bass liked the kiss so much, he will be back on her hook the next time out ::)

Holly loves to fish. We were wading 10 - 15 ft from the shore in Alligater infested waters :eek: She loved it as did her Mom.

Jim ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.