Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all are right about now, I'm more than ready for our warmer months.

Recently I've been thinking about all of the bass fishing i did during the crazy storms last summer. I remember hearing my buddy saying that the bass, well fish in general, tend to bite a bit harder when it rains. I thought he was crazy til I tried it. Apparently the runoff water into ponds, creeks, rivers and lakes provides easy insect meals for our little friends. I started small with some green flukes and caught several 2-5 lbs. In hopes of catching some hogs i put a large brown senko on and caught a lunker in my first few casts.

What are your thoughts?

Happy fishing and rip some lips!!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Depends on how hard it's raining. Last year I was at the AHL landing on LBL when it started raining really hard and barely got my kayak out of there in time. Lesson learned. Kinda like "turn around, don't drown". Maybe "Head for shore, or fish no more." But a nice steady, gentle rain? Yeah, I've had some of my better days when it's raining. Even managed to land a 5 lber on Pflugerville in the rain.

Oh, and other than lightning wolves, I'm not a big fan of being on the lake when Zeus is toss his bolts.

-SSJr.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with the lightning fears. There was a video lately of a bass boat almost getting struck while doing about 60MPH on open water. That made me reconsider the risk of fishing while raining. I will try to find a link and post it here.

Does anyone know some good rules of thumb on how to properly tell the difference between " just rain", a good downpour, and a real thunder storm? I don't want to be out on open water before I have an oh-crap moment since I usually have my kids and wife with me.

There are apps that show lightning strikes and weather/clouds/precipitation/wind, but that's all data after the fact. Plus a lot of crap usually occurs right on the frontal boundries.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
I went out fishing in LA rain one day when I used to kayak. Made it halfway to ski shores from 360 when I realized it was going to be too rough. Barely made it back to the ramp, had to spend a few minutes under someones dock to regain strength. Probably the only time I have genuinely prayed in my life

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love fishing in the rain. I found a great app that's pretty dang accurate on how heavy the rain is going to be, when you can expect it to hit ,and how long it will last.
Forecast

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I went out fishing in LA rain one day when I used to kayak. Made it halfway to ski shores from 360 when I realized it was going to be too rough. Barely made it back to the ramp, had to spend a few minutes under someones dock to regain strength. Probably the only time I have genuinely prayed in my life
I definitely have had that experience, but on Decker. Hell of a storm blew in and I was across the lake in my 10ft pescador. Austinjohn was at the ramp waiting for me to get back safely. Barely made it.. At least I had a rescue crew in waiting.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Nothing is more powerful than a wolf born of lightning.

except a pack

The power of the lightning wolf sacks up king sized basses regardless of the weather, once this truth is accepted life is much more fulfilling.

Awesome myriad of photos! I kinda feel bad for the lightning wolf with his paw lodged in the stump:/

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
**** I was trying to get that pontoon boat on the trailer in 25mph crosswinds, which is next to impossible. Got lucky and nailed it first try.
Those were some nasty winds that evening. A 4ft roller about dumped me midlake. Glad I made it out as well

·
Registered
153 Posts
Depends on how hard it's raining. Last year I was at the AHL landing on LBL when it started raining really hard and barely got my kayak out of there in time. Lesson learned. Kinda like "turn around, don't drown". Maybe "Head for shore, or fish no more." But a nice steady, gentle rain? Yeah, I've had some of my better days when it's raining. Even managed to land a 5 lber on Pflugerville in the rain.
I was out there that night, first time I'd ever fished LBL or launched there. Hunkered down under a cypress tree at a boat dock for about 30 minutes and decided that it wasn't going to get any better and I had to brave the storm. Almost missed the take out because it looked nothing like when I launched (dry). Hung around for a while to help anyone else trying to get out that night. Can't believe the sacks some guys brought in that night.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I agree with the lightning fears. There was a video lately of a bass boat almost getting struck while doing about 60MPH on open water. That made me reconsider the risk of fishing while raining. I will try to find a link and post it here.

Does anyone know some good rules of thumb on how to properly tell the difference between " just rain", a good downpour, and a real thunder storm? I don't want to be out on open water before I have an oh-crap moment since I usually have my kids and wife with me.

There are apps that show lightning strikes and weather/clouds/precipitation/wind, but that's all data after the fact. Plus a lot of crap usually occurs right on the frontal boundries.
I spent my first 26 years surrounded by the Great Lakes and their crazy weather, where there's more opportunity to realize that you cannot predict the weather. I spend a lot of time listening to noaa weather radio, listening to a few forecasts but you have to prepare for the worst. Dry towels, ponchos, tarp, manual water bale. I tied ropes strategically on my tarp and have a chopped broom stick so I can make a small shelter to get under. Obviously that won't stop lightning but I bet my kids will feel a lot better under that than just out in the open. But know that if u boat with your family, you will eventually be caught in a nasty one that everyone will remember and tell the tale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts