Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! I could use some help. I just got into bass fishing a few months back and have been loving it. I grew up trout and ocean fishing, but bass fishing is a whole different beast. So far, I've been bank fishing lakes around Austin, TX and doing well enough to keep me coming back. I'm currently fishing spinning gear with finesse presentations - ned rigs, shakeyheads, senkos, small Texas rigs, etc. I bought a few small spinnerbaits but all I've caught with them are trees.

I've been interested in adding a baitcaster into the mix for the coming spring/summer. I recently picked up a Shimano Curado MGL 150 after hearing a lot of great things and now I'm trying to pair it up with a nice rod. I fish a lot of highly pressured lakes from the shore. Most of my casts are to the edge of structure (trees, bushes, etc) along the shore or to structure just off shore, like points, bends in the lake, etc. I'm tempted to lean toward a medium, not a medium heavy, fast action rod so I can throw things on the smaller side and get a lot of sensitivity. I'd love to have something versatile for primarily bottom contact baits but also the option to throw something moving so that I can start to learn more about moving baits.

Any recommendations/opinions on the rod action and/or brand for this application? My price range is somewhere between $200 and $400.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I hate using spinning gear from the bank. I cant be precise in casting which means more snags.

If youre using the MGL for t-rig and mostly finesse style plastics, I would still opt for a MH rod. Maybe others disagree but I think youll still have plenty of tip sensitivity but you will have the backbone power to get larger fish out of cover (since you're fishing the bank primarily and throwing into cover).

I've had good luck with Shimano's casting rods. I've tried higher end rods from GLoomis and St. Croix but didn't see the need to spend $150 more.

Id recommend just getting a Shimano Clarus or SLX in 7'2" length and then use the rest of your budget to grab another shimano reel like a curado in 200 size and pair that with a suitable rod. That way you can have a more compact finesse rod with the MGL reel and a larger frame reel to throw spinners and other faster lures. Not necessary to have two but itll maximize time with your lure in water.

If youre set on a high end rod for MGL Id say a Gloomis GCX, leviathian trinity, or St. Croix legend. I think once you get around $200+ most rods are built with quality materials and guides.

Would also recommend running seaguar abrazx line, its works well for me in cover on pressured fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If youre using the MGL for t-rig and mostly finesse style plastics, I would still opt for a MH rod. Maybe others disagree but I think youll still have plenty of tip sensitivity but you will have the backbone power to get larger fish out of cover (since you're fishing the bank primarily and throwing into cover).
Thanks for the advice! I ended up going with a MH rod after all. I had a 2 or 3 lb fish run me straight into the roots of a big cypress tree a month or so back so I'd like to avoid that.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use a 7ft medium fast St Croix Avid-X for my wacky senko rod, which I use a lot. I wouldnt be afraid to horse a bigun out of some light cover. St Crois rods do run heaver that stated.

the one thing I would mention is that with bank fishing I have found a slightly shorter rod, 6’8“ - 6’10”, helps when standing near shoreline trees and other impediments. But the downside is you loose casting distance which can be important from the bank.

·
Super Moderator
2,245 Posts
I’ve been wanting to add my 2¢ since the OP, but my considerations are pretty self-oriented. Now that jc34 has offered some really great advice, I think the OP can consider his options. I pretty much only use 7’ MF and 7’MHF rods. The 9#er was caught inches from the bank and twenty feet from stairs that lead down for the Butler Trail to the waters edge. I believe this fish could have been cast to from the bank. I caught it on a 7’ All*Star MF. But I agree that from the bank, the MH will pull free from snags easier and perhaps turn a big’un from burying into cover faster.

A spinning reel comes in handy on the bank when you have tree limbs overhead and bushes behind you that might foul your back cast. The spinning reel is much for forgiving when you unwittingly foul your line behind you and blithely go forward.

One last thing. An All*Star 7’ MF (or MHF as you did) costs $50. Spend the remaining money on a kayak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts