Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I have been wanting to get down to Lake Austin in the next couple of months, and I am just wondering what I should take there, and where I should go for the best possible experience. I have a couple of baitcasting combos, one with a really stiff rod and braid, and the other with a
crankbait rob and flourocarbon.

Thanks
~ Nathan || ATXBassKiller

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Shore access on Lake Austin is indeed extremely limited. As mentioned, you probably have the most shore access at City Park... however, the banks around City Park are pretty bare right now. Pretty much all the way around it, it's just going to be a slow-sloping sand bottom. There used to be lots of great grass to fish, but not anymore. You can probably still catch a few, just saying, cover/structure is limited. A few other areas you can try that have a little bit more cover to fish, but very limited space include: 360 bridge, Panther Creek (I think it's called Woodland Park at Riverplace... it's off of Big View Dr.), Commons Ford Park, Selma Hughes Park, Quinlan Park, and Low Water Crossing. There are probably a few others, but those are the ones I know of.

As far as baits go... it depends on when you get out during the "next couple of months." Things should be changing drastically between now and two months from now. One for sure though is a senko. I've actually slowly but surely been weaning myself off the senkos and have been throwing the PowerTeam Lures Sick Sticks. With everyone out there throwing the Yammamoto Senko, the Sick Stick can provide a slightly different look and action than the Senko that Lake Austin fish see on a daily basis. I've caught a number of big fish on the Sick Stick now and have had a number of guys tell me about big fish they've caught on Austin with the Sick Stick. My avatar pic to the left is a bass caught on a Sick Stick at Lake Austin. Senkos are good, don't get me wrong, but I think it definitely helps sometimes to throw something a little different.

If you manage to find an area to fish with some grass, a lipless crankbait fished over the grass and ripped through it could be good during the coming months. Also, if you make it out during the upcoming warmer months and there's some potential for seeing fish on beds, make sure you bring some good bed-fishing baits. I did really well on beds last year throwing a PowerTeam Lures Finicky Tickler on a drop-shot rig as well as throwing the PowerTeam Lures 4.5" Food Chain tube on a T-Rig. Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I have heard that there is limited grass now because of the carp. Too bad to hear...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts