Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to believe that bait fishing is the "lazy" way to fish. Lure fishing is more about skill than anything I believe. What are your thoughts between the 2. hows does one who has bait fished all his life make the transition?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on the species and circumstances.

First, I think fly fishing is for posers and flamboyant types. Yes my perspective has been jaded. Second, dead sticking a senko isn't exactly "hard labor." Lure fishing for some species is more difficult than others. Catching a musky on a plug is a challenge; throwing a plastic worm in a farm pond with a bunch of hungry bass isn't always a challenge.

For me, I like to do what is optimal, and I find bait fishing about as enjoyable as most lure fishing. Bait fishing catches larger bass more consistently in many/ most places. But, then again, I've never caught a 10+ bass.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I believe both have their place. I love bass fishing, trying to fool the little bastards with a plastic or crank. I bait fish for striper and salt water fish oftimes. Sometimes that's what they wanna eat. If I can catch em on artificials then that's what I toss.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bait will usually produce bigger fish. I used to love to catch and then liveline shiners and roach. Caught many nice bass and pike that way. That being said, I absolutely enjoy the challange and technique of fishing artificals. If I fish live bait at all is is in saltwater.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Depends on the species and circumstances.

First, I think fly fishing is for posers and flamboyant types.
I've just started fly fishing recently. Nothing poserish about it, it's hard work in this texas heat. Plus getting a fish to rise and take a fly is exciting stuff. You can see a swirl and water rushing around your fly, then bam it gets sucked under. Exciting stuff to see and feel the strike. I've fished with artificial and live bait all my life, enjoy it all equally. Whatever works to catch fish and have fun. But don't think someone is "flamboyant" or a "poser" for working hard to catch a fish with a fly. It really is a lost art and great deal of fun when you find the right fly for the fish you are targeting.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
True that Dez. I fish out of a dual live well rigged up ******* style pontoon boat with a 50h yamaha, and a busch light in my hand. I see $50k boats screaming by me as I am hauling up big fish from my tooner. I'm not hating on any fisherman though, well except for people who blow up on me when I am night fishing on Travis. If you see someone fishing under a lighted dock, just go to another dock, don't come screaming in and blow the spot up. Other than that, I'm cool with anybody on the water that wants to rip lips.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I'm prolly just jelous cause I fish out of a 79 model Starcraft...:p

I've caught many a fish out of an ol toon,

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
HOOK EM said it.....Lures for bass for fun.....bait for catfish, crappie, flounder, trout and reds

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have come to believe that bait fishing is the "lazy" way to fish. Lure fishing is more about skill than anything I believe. What are your thoughts between the 2. hows does one who has bait fished all his life make the transition?
I use earthworms to lure large tilapia fish,
see the video :

1 - 11 of 11 Posts