Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris (Blue Skeeter) and I fished Fayette today and we probably had one of our better days. We boated over eighty bass. It was crazy and wild; we had double hook ups more times than I can remember. We caught schoolies, we caught fish during the hottest part of the day on top water baits, we caught fish on cranks, but we caught most of our fish on plastic. Man did the wind ever blow! We took turns on the trolling motor, it was an all day thing to stay on the trolling motor just to try and hold your position on feeding fish.

The water color was pretty murky looking on the north side of the lake due to all these strong southerly winds we have been receiving. The fish on the north side were holding in grass in about four to six feet of water. We really didn’t get a chance to try out any of the timber areas due to wind, so no help on that subject. The fish on the south side were in twelve to eighteen feet. I say that, but heck we caught fish in all depths. I would say our top water bite was the weakest bite. The crank bait bite was second, and the plastic bite was our best. Other than all this wind, it was an awesome day. The fish were really feeding well. The bite got better by the hour during the day. Some areas we fished in the AM that had a some what pretty good bite, turned into our honey holes during the PM part of the day. The fish would hit your bait on the drop.

We didn’t find anything over four pounds, but we caught a bunch of good solid two and a half to three and a half pound fish along with three catfish to boot. I should have taken a snap shot of this 12 to 14 lb flathead I caught on plastic, but I didn’t. Here are a few pics we took just for grins. Nothing very big, just a lot of fish and a great day on the water.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
Awsome report :eek: :eek: :eek:

Really good to see you had a great day Doug ;)
Sorry i have not called lately. Life is really upside down for the moment. Dylan leaves on Friday.

Hope to get on Fayette with ya soon.

Jim ;D

· Registered
541 Posts
Had a great time Doug, my arms still sore. I believe we could have caught fish all night. I was thinking the same thing about that big cat, we should have snapped a pic of it. I bet those guys were glad we decided to leave. Gotta love Fayette!!!! ;D We need to do that again soon.

· Registered
10,147 Posts
Congrats Doug on getting onto fish, on windy Fayette. I was thinking about trying Fayette this weekend, but my TM cable broke and would not attemp to drift on that lake.

Thanks for sharing.

Did you see any schooling bass yet? Might be a little early for schooling on that lake..Cannot wait, though.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fishless-N-Austin said:
Very good report there Doug. Looks like you and Chris slayed them from sun up to sun down.
Jeremy we didn't stay for the late afternoon bite. Those two pictures which look like night shots were actually early morning pictures. I guess they turned out that dark because the flash went off. Heck, we started fishing when there was safe light and you could see the shore line real well. Those two fish were caught with in the first ten minutes on top water baits.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ranger_R77 said:
Did you see any schooling bass yet? Might be a little early for schooling on that lake..Cannot wait, though.
Matter of fact Robert, we did. Man did that ever surprise me. I have never seen them school this early on Fayette.

We had just put down our top water poles and began throwing some cranks with success when all of a sudden a school of two pound fish mixed in with a couple of threes started busting the top. Pitched out our top water baits right quick, caught a few and then pitched out our cranks as they went down and picked off a few more. I had seen a few bust the top as we were coming up on them, but they never came out of the water like they did till we were right up on them. At one point they surfaced right in front of the boat. No more than five feet away. They were just going crazy. But when they come up that close to your boat it sure makes it hard to throw on the school and get bit. I guess they came up four times in all, after that the white caps had gotten to dang big and it just shut that action down. I never saw them do it again. But it sure was fun while it lasted.

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bassfantastic said:
Awsome report :eek: :eek: :eek:

Really good to see you had a great day Doug ;)
Sorry i have not called lately. Life is really upside down for the moment. Dylan leaves on Friday.

Hope to get on Fayette with ya soon.

Jim ;D
Jim I for one can totally understand where you are coming from on the upside down situation in life. I have been there and done that, but I believe I have already had this discussion with you once before.

Also if I remember right Jim, I think you told me you had never fished Fayette before. If this is a true statement, then you will be hooked on it the first time you go. Even a bad day on Fayette can be better than a good day on most lakes. It is one awesome fishery. \

Give me a call so we can discuss the fishing trip issue.

· Registered
541 Posts
Rmv you right about them being mean fish. Pound for pound I think they fight harder than any lake I've been on. A 2.5-3lb fish feels like a 5. My father in law says its because they are aggarvated because the waters so dang hot over there ;D

· Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rmvfishing said:
Fayette is awesome! fishytx is right, I was hooked on Fayette on more first trip. Won my first tournament there. Those fish are mean fish.. ;D

Going there Tuesday, I hope you left a few fish. ;D
rmvfishing, we left them all for another day, but those we caught may still have a sore lip. ;D ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.