Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Micael was one of the first Austin originals I met when I moved here in 1972 to play in Michael Murphey's band and Jerry Jeff Walker's band. He was a brilliant and fun-loving friend, and always seemed to be living on an edge that he was almost falling off. I have many of his posters on my music room wall that are a history of the Armadillo and the music scene here in general. The era that Micael chronicled was a fun one.

IMHO his classic poster was of the 1972 Willie Nelson show (Greezy Wheels opening) at the AWHQ, showing the cowboy crying into his beer while the jukebox plays "Hello Walls." Classic. $2 cover charge, BTW. ;)

I'm very happy that he's being remembered here. I didn't think this place was a hangout for many of Micael's admirers.

priest willie.jpg

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
A couple years back, I visited the South Austin Museum of Popular Culture. I really enjoyed the art and I've been meaning to return, but make sure to call first to let them know you're coming to visit.

Its now called the South Austin Popular Culture Center and they have some of Mr Priest work and others from the Armadillo Art Squad. AWHQ predates me by a few years, but I relish the lingering vibe.

My brother is a local fine artist who displays at Armadillo Christmas Bizarre and Pecan Street Festival. Its tough to make a living this way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
... Its tough to make a living this way.
Micael was perpetually several notches below the poverty level. But the 70's was an era here when living hand-to-mouth was doable. Three or four artists could share a big rent house here for less than 200 bucks back then. Electric bill was $18-20, Southern Union gas was $10-12 a month. Gas for the car, if you had one, was around 22-28 cents/gal. Chicken fried steak at the Stallion on N. Lamar was $1.00 (1.25 for 2 meat), while Ellis Cafe further up the street was $1.25 for a 1 meat/2 veggie/roll lunch.

I could go on and on... stop me before I hurt myself. :loll:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

Three or four artists could share a big rent house...
I had a friend who bought a house that had been rented by some Austin artists. The living room wall was painted in big Armadillo style mural floor to ceiling. Around 2005, my friend had the whole wall removed and sent to the Culture Center. It was on the local TV news.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts