Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 7pm to 9pm on friday evening. Water was very dirty due to the rains....should have thought about that first and stayed home. Threw senkos and crankbaits at the City Park grassline. Had one bite, caught a 6lb 4oz fish on a Slammer with about 4 feet of line from the end of the rod. Good thing for the big rod and braid.

Had three swimbait bites last Easter sunday morning at the lower end. Caught a 5lb4oz fish on a huddleston near the Hula Hut. Typical with the swimbaits, not many bites but usually quality fish.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Lake Austin 04-21, 04-22, 04-23

04-21 Friday
Fished the lower end with Doc.  Water temp was 72.  This was the day after a heavy rain, and I figured the bite would be slow, but quite the contrary.  I boated 10 bass and Doc boated 2, mostly on lightly weighted Senkos.

What would have been #11 for me was the biggest fish I have ever hooked.  I would say it was at least 8 pounds, possibly more.  It hit a 1/2 ounce rattletrap and jumped out of the water 6 times.   The thing was very strong and ran every which way and I could not bring it in close.  It eventually laid on its side on the surface and I was about to troll over to it while still maintaining line tension, but then it made a burst and tore free of the hooks.   Doc and I got a fair look at it and surmised that we did not think it was a bass, maybe it was a carp or something similar.  Still, it sure was fun!

04-22  Saturday
Went back to the same areas and patterns, but this time I boated 3 and Doc boated 2.   There was a lot of debris in the water from the rain.

04-23  Sunday
Fished alone in the mid-lake area, across the lake from Ski Shores.  Talked to a guy there on the bank who said he caught an 8.5 bass on a topwater the previous Monday.  I caught 2, back-to-back, slow rolling a spinnerbait over the weeds.  They were about 2.5 lbs each and looked like twins.  Later I made acquaintance with Bill, a.k.a. WillyBill, up the lake from City Park, I heard he caught one nearly 4 pounds. Also met up with Doc and Craig who said they saw a 6 pounder swimming in the shallows.   

1 - 2 of 2 Posts