Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The UBA from UT will sending 2-3 teams to participate in the 2nd annual University of Arkansas invitational. The tournament will be held on February 23 and 24th on Beaver Lake in northwest Arkansas. If anyone has any info on this lake, we could use all the help we can get. Also, The UBA will become and official club sport at UT in March, if anyone knows of any organization/company that would be interested in sponsoring a UT team, let us know.

·
Registered
597 Posts
THAT LAKE SUCKS! :'( I hate it, can't stand it and will never go back. I had more fun in Sept on Bull Shoals catching fish out of tree tops in 100 fow 50-70 ft deep. Beaver Lake sucks no matter how inviting the name sounds. All its going to do is look pretty, but it will take your money, break your heart. Make you work too hard for too little, then leave with nothing. Maybe your dignity if you can keep the trip short.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we are going to do the best we can. We are sending two teams, Lurp can't make it, but Huntinallday is attending, we will be on separate boats though. We hopefully have an advantage sending two teams (most schools will most likely send one???). According to tournament site.

*To encourage a more team-like event we will be counting the biggest weight from each school each day.
That means if boat 1 catches 10lbs the first day, then blanks the second day; and boat 2 catches 5lbs the first day, and catches 10 lbs the second day, your total weight would be 20lbs for your school.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well one team left for Arkansas last night and the other team is leaving today.  A cold front is suppossed to move in on them Saturday with a high temp of 40 degrees  :eek:  They're going to stick deep and try the dropshot and slow jigging to start.  I'll keep you updated on how they do.  Wish I was there, but I have to turn in 2 papers today  :mad:  Dam school work.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The UT bass team sent two teams to compete in this Arkansas invite and didn't fair so well...During the two day event half of the teams didn't catch one fish, let alone a keeper. The UT teams caught a 25lb striper :eek: and one dink during the two day tourney, but it's not bad considering the temps were in the 30's and it was storiming all weekend and their had also been a flood about 3 days before the tourney. The water had incredibly low visibility due to the flood making it very hard to fish. Not even the teams hosting the tournament had many keepers. I beleive one boat from the 5 teams hosting the tournament had a keeper, but I may be wrong. Overall it was a very tough weekend for our teams along with many other.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a tough weekend. I did not get a bite in two days of fishing. The only guys that caught any fish were the ones who had been prefishing all week. We tried to fish transition points and heavy cover, but could not find any fish (none of the four of us had any idea what to do with this lake). After the first day only 10 of the 23 boats had a keeper, we didnt stay for the weigh in the second day, but the SFA team won, now those guys know how to fish. We will chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. From what we heard the only way people caught fish, was on silver jerk baits in crystal clear water on the far north end of the lake (area not affected by flood) and jigging hula grubs in 40 feet of water. God this was a tough lake and I would have to say that btsmbass was right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.