Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always pretty forthcoming with my fishing reports, but this time I'm hoping to get a little help back my way if I can! I will be fishing Austin tomorrow out of convenience over Travis. Has anyone been out there lately that had any kind of success finding fish on shallow flats or are they still deep/suspended? Seems like la is best trolled dam to dam with an umbrella rig but that's just not my style. Heck I'll even take advice on which way to turn from the 360 launch. I haven't been out there in months, and when I was I never found any kind of productive pattern.

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated. TIA!!

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
You can always catch fish on bluff walls out there with Texas rigged plastics. Start shallow right against the wall and work it out deep, hopefully you can find where they are. Watch your graph as you work down you will go over brush piles. Peel back and flip into any piles you find. That's the best I can offer, I've been on Travis so much lately I'm out of touch with LA.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can always catch fish on bluff walls out there with Texas rigged plastics. Start shallow right against the wall and work it out deep, hopefully you can find where they are. Watch your graph as you work down you will go over brush piles. Peel back and flip into any piles you find. That's the best I can offer, I've been on Travis so much lately I'm out of touch with LA.
Thanks John. That's exactly my problem. I've been on Travis all winter and spring as well and just killing it out there, so no reason to go to Austin and get my ass handed to me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was out there a couple of weeks ago in the yak. Fished the south side from LHCA Park to almost Commons Ford Park. Good old-fashioned LA dock beating produced some fish, mostly in front of the docks. Didn't catch any real shallow or along the banks. T-rigged Senkos of the green and watermelon variety fished very slow worked for me. I did catch one at a creek mouth on a shad colored crank. Fish were biting, and I did miss quite a few. No idea what the water temp was as I don't have any electronics on my yak. I know there were some brush piles dropped right in front of LCHA park closer to north shore, I think. I didn't bother checking them out, but should have I reckon. Saw some dudes fishing the mouth of Panther as per usual and they managed a few. Looked like they were throwing cranks. Good luck and post up a report!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info fellas! I had a VERY good day today....

Fished from 9a-3p. Water temps were 66.5 at the 360 ramp and 62 degrees a few miles down from Mansfield. Very little wind and just a bit of occasional mist, no sun at all today.

I spent the first three hours upstream and it was extremely slow. Caught a keeper and broke one off after about an hour. Then I realized my boat had started moving along pretty good but there was no wind. It finally dawns on me that Mansfield is releasing water. The current was definitely creating some activity but I just wasn't feeling it in that colder water so I ran back south, hoping to find a little current downstream in warmer waters. I won't say exactly where I ended up since ttz is about to start up but I found the spot and just crushed them on senkos. Just like Ander's advice states, a dead on cast was absolutely necessary and today my cast was just really dialed in. I didn't get anything real big but every fish I caught was a keeper and I lost count around 15 fish in the boat. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared for lake Austin, I have been fishing Travis and out there I use 8lb test for just about everything. Don't knock me, I caught a five pounder on that stuff without any problems at all last week and pull in 3-4 pounders with it on the reg. I actually lost more fish today than I caught due to my lack of preparedness and eventually I felt like I left enough metal in those fish I broke off and called it quits for ethical reasons. But I had hooked and fought to some extent no less than 30 fish in about 2.5 hours. If I had some 14lb test with me I would have pulled in damn near every one of those fish and stayed for more. Nonetheless it was a great day and my wife is really pissed she backed out on me at the last minute this morning LOL.

Could LA really be back???? I'm pretty excited to see what the ttz wed nighter brings in collectively tomorrow, and the rest of the year for that matter!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas! I had a VERY good day today....

Fished from 9a-3p. Water temps were 66.5 at the 360 ramp and 62 degrees a few miles down from Mansfield. Very little wind and just a bit of occasional mist, no sun at all today.

I spent the first three hours upstream and it was extremely slow. Caught a keeper and broke one off after about an hour. Then I realized my boat had started moving along pretty good but there was no wind. It finally dawns on me that Mansfield is releasing water. The current was definitely creating some activity but I just wasn't feeling it in that colder water so I ran back south, hoping to find a little current downstream in warmer waters. I won't say exactly where I ended up since ttz is about to start up but I found the spot and just crushed them on senkos. Just like Ander's advice states, a dead on cast was absolutely necessary and today my cast was just really dialed in. I didn't get anything real big but every fish I caught was a keeper and I lost count around 15 fish in the boat. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared for lake Austin, I have been fishing Travis and out there I use 8lb test for just about everything. Don't knock me, I caught a five pounder on that stuff without any problems at all last week and pull in 3-4 pounders with it on the reg. I actually lost more fish today than I caught due to my lack of preparedness and eventually I felt like I left enough metal in those fish I broke off and called it quits for ethical reasons. But I had hooked and fought to some extent no less than 30 fish in about 2.5 hours. If I had some 14lb test with me I would have pulled in damn near every one of those fish and stayed for more. Nonetheless it was a great day and my wife is really pissed she backed out on me at the last minute this morning LOL.

Could LA really be back???? I'm pretty excited to see what the ttz wed nighter brings in collectively tomorrow, and the rest of the year for that matter!
AHHH NO.... But the fish are pretty hungry. Glad you had a fun day. I'm curious to see if the Wednesday night returns to former form with a good showing.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
But I had hooked and fought to some extent no less than 30 fish in about 2.5 hours....
Yup, that sounds about right. Looks like you found what I was talking about... :) It sounds like your casting game was on as well! You can go fish that same stuff and if your casting game is off, you'll probably only catch one... if you're lucky.

Could LA really be back????
Ya, that would be a big, fat no. Don't get too excited. haha :p

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, that sounds about right. Looks like you found what I was talking about... :) It sounds like your casting game was on as well! You can go fish that same stuff and if your casting game is off, you'll probably only catch one... if you're lucky.

Ya, that would be a big, fat no. Don't get too excited. haha :p
I'll be back out there tomorrow, no doubt I'll get skunked lol.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job Matt. TFTR. I'm surprised you didn't have a rod/reel setup with heavier line.
I probably should after losing that DD on LT over the winter but I really just love using light line. Most of my fish on Travis come from right under the boat so it's easy to get away with it there but definitely not good for casting to the bank on La.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts