Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home about an hour ago, I had to catch fish after my bad LA day yesterday. Fished 6:45-3:30 the day started off good catching a few on spinnerbaits, flukes, and jigs. Later in the morning the wind really picked up and we headed towards the discharge side of the lake. Caught a few back in dock creek but really found a solid C-rig pattern on the discharge side of the lake. We found hydrilla with the graph on points in 8-10ft and fished it hard. For the 9 hours we spent on the water we spent 5 of the hours on two different points and put it to them. I think most of the fish at least on the discharge side have moved out of the shallows. We Ended up with 35 fish or so biggest going 3 lbs 14oz.
Out of those fish we only caught 9 unders and kept them for the table. I suggest everyone start taking a few unders out of there thats what makes the lake the qualtity it is.

3lbs 14oz

3lbs 9oz

Table Fare

· Registered
842 Posts
Congrats Aggie, sounds like ya'll had a great day. As far as keeping some of the unders, I believe that is why they started the slot, so that the smaller ones would get taken out of the lake so the best breading size would be in the lake and not have as much compatition for food.
I hope I have a day tomorrow like you did today. I am going to try and get out tomorrow morning if I can.

Emmett

· Registered
50 Posts
also fished the trop on sunday..got there a little late and missed the shallow bite...MAN there were alot of boats on that little lake....caught around twenty (to 5lbs) but had to resort to t-rigged worms on the edge of grass that bordered deeper water...could not get bit on shallow beds....still a great day on the best lttle lake in texas...yes the new game warden (nice guy) asked that we all start taking the unders as this was how they wanted to manage the lake..will probably result in larger fish down the road..... 8)

· Registered
541 Posts
I like to eat LMB just as much as alot of other fish. I've been told that also about keeping the unders to keep some of the competition down, I just hate all the looks I get when I throw one in the livewell. So I don't know what to do anymore. I'll do whatever helps the fish population and size, I got 3-4 bags of Bastrop schoolies in the freezer. Wasn't trying to talk down on it just confused on what to do. That lake is full of little guys, but their the best eatin'.

· Registered
5,343 Posts
a fella that runs a hatchery/ fish farm near lake proctor told me that you need to keep all the unders you legally can for proper management. Even with high fishing pressure, you can't catch them all and the balance created equals more food for the bigger fish. The fish population of bastrop is probably stagnated by high numbers, hence no one catches anything over 5 lbs.

· Registered
842 Posts
BlueSkeeter, Dont be confused about it. The regs were written for each lake depeding on what would be best for each lake. Taking the unders is what needs to happen sometimes. If you like to take some home for the table, don't stop. Keep doing what you want to do, it is perfectly legal and as I have learned it through the years it is alos needed.
Just my .02,
Emmett

· Registered
103 Posts
Hi guys,
Just my $.02. Several game wardens and TPWD biologists have come and spoken to our club, and they ALL say keep the unders. We've all gotten so hung up on catch and release, that the lakes are getting over populated with small fish, besides, they're good eating.....................BB

· Registered
606 Posts
I dont eat LM theyre just to fishy tasting for me but i agree take the unders. If you eat them and your hungry take them if tpwd starts to see an impact on the lake due to to many being taken out they will let us know or change the slot so until then do what you want and dont worry about what others think. I agree with one of the posts weve gotten so caught up in catch and release people get mad if they see you keep a black. If you read up or have had experience with managing any kind of water private or public you will know eliminating a certain amount of small fish is one of the most important aspects of management. So if people are frowning on you for keeping these just know they are the ignorant ones and not helping to grow a fish over 5lbs in the trop. Take some out for me since i dont eat them. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.